As a Pathways composition course, ENG 126 shares a set of common learning objectives with ENG 125. These learning objectives are the same across all sections of the course. We strongly recommend discussing and explaining these learning objectives throughout the semester, particularly as students draft and revise formal writing assignments.
All ENG 126 syllabi must include these learning objectives exactly as they appear below:
- Read and listen critically and analytically, including identifying an argument’s major assumptions and assertions and evaluating its supporting evidence.
- Write clearly and coherently in varied, academic formats (such as formal essays, research papers, and reports) using standard English and appropriate technology to critique and improve one’s own and others’ texts.
- Demonstrate research skills using appropriate technology, including gathering, evaluating, and synthesizing primary and secondary sources.
- Support a thesis with well-reasoned arguments, and communicate persuasively across a variety of contexts, purposes, audiences, and media.
- Formulate original ideas and relate them to the ideas of others by employing the conventions of ethical attribution and citation.