Attendance and Participation
Recommendations for class participation
Guidelines for Attendance and Participation Statements
Lack of attendance in English 126 may not be the sole reason that students fail this course. Grades must be based on work completed during the semester. We strongly suggest instructors include the following on their course syllabi:
- A percentage for Class Participation that ranges from 10-20% in the grading breakdown.
- A policy for late assignments, specifying when and under what circumstances late assignments will and will not be accepted.
- A clear description of how in-class work, as separate from homework, counts toward the final grade. This might be part of the “Class Participation” portion of the grading breakdown.
As instructors, we need to note student activity in the course in order to:
- Complete the VOE rosters we are asked to submit early in the semester.
- Resolve issues of when to assign a WU or an F.
Sample Participation Statement for Syllabi
- Participation grades will be determined by your attentiveness, preparedness, contributions to discussions, and respect for classmates’ ideas. Absences, arriving late, departing early, or exiting during class will adversely affect your participation grade. If you miss a class, you are responsible for getting any notes and/or announcements.
- Bringing your own text(s) to each and every class meeting is mandatory.
- Please remember to express disagreement/dissent collegially.
- You will be required to conduct peer review and meet for conferences during which we will discuss your writing. Detailed instructions will follow.
- No cell phones, music, or food are allowed, and visitors must seek advance permission.