Attendance and Participation
Lack of attendance in ENG 126 may not be the sole reason that students fail this course. Grades must be based on work completed during the semester. We strongly suggest instructors include the following on their course syllabi:
- A percentage for Class Participation that ranges from 10-20% in the grading breakdown.
- A clear description of the policy for late assignments, specifying when and under what circumstances late assignments will and will not be accepted.
- A clear description of the marking or accounting for the completion of in-class work, as separate from homework or out of class work, both as a practice in the classroom and as a part of the grading breakdown, perhaps as part of or separated from the “Class Participation” portion.
Sample Participation Statement for Syllabi:
- Participation grades will be determined by your attentiveness, preparedness, contributions to discussions, and respect for classmates’ ideas. Absences, arriving late, departing early, or exiting during class will adversely affect your participation grade. If you miss a class, you are responsible for getting any notes and/or announcements.
- Bringing your own text(s) to each and every class meeting is mandatory.
Please remember to express disagreement/dissent collegially.
- You will be required to conduct peer review and meet for conferences during which we will discuss your writing. Detailed instructions will follow.
- No cell phones, music, or food are allowed, and visitors must seek advance permission.
*As faculty, we must still take attendance, but only for the following purposes:
- To verify whether a student has ever attended as required by the COA rosters we submit early in the semester.
- To keep track of when a student may stop attending in case the student is to be given a WU.
- To comply with other regulations, such as requirements that students receiving public assistance attend classes.