Office of the Registrar Frequently Asked Questions

Academic Calendar

Where can I locate the Academic Calendar online?

The academic calendar is located in the Office of the Registrar's webpage under "Academic Calendar".

Are the date's subject to change on the calendar?

All dates are subject to change without prior notification.

CLEP/ AP Credits

Where do I submit my AP and or CLEP exam scores?

All Advanced Placement (AP) and CLEP exam scores can be mailed to the Office of the Registrar at York College.

What AP scores does York College accept?

Score 1 and 2: No course or credits awarded

Score 3: Blanket elective credits(BL).

Score 4 or 5: Course equivalent with credit(s).

Who can I contact if I have questions about CLEP exams and what York will accept?

Please review the CLEP exam equivalency information on the Certification Testing page. A score of 50 or better is needed to receive credit. Should students have any questions, please contact the Office of the Registrar and/ or visit us during our hours of operation in Room AC-1H06.

Enrollment Verification Letter

What is an Enrollment Verification Letter?

An enrollment verification letter is an official letter from York College informing external agencies, institutions and/or employer(s) that the student is currently or was previously enrolled at the college.  The letter contains the amount of credits the student received for the last semester enrolled.  

Do I need to pay a fee to receive my Enrollment Verification letter?

No fee is required. 

What is the turnaround time for this document?

As long as the student does not have any negative service indicator(s) the letter is given to the student upon visiting the Office of the Registrar with photo identification. 

Can I print out my Enrollment Verification letter at home?

Yes. However, if the letter needs a signature and/or official seal, students will need to request the letter in person at the Office of the Registrar.

CUNYFirst Frequently Asked Questions

How do I claim my CUNYfirst account?

New student users can activate their new account by logging onto the York College website and selecting the "Log In" selection on the top right corner and select "CUNYfirst" from the drop-down menu. Select "New User" and begin the activation process.

Degree Works

What is Degree Works?

DegreeWorks is York College's web-based academic advisement and degree audit system. Degree Works generates an easy to read degree audit that takes the courses from a student's transcript and reorganizes them to fulfill requirements for a student's degree, major, minor and skills assessment as defined in the college bulletin. It is recommended that a student check his/her audit monthly due to updating of records.

If I note a discrepancy in Degree Works, who can I speak to?

If you believe there is a discrepancy on your Degree Works contact the Academic Advisement Center, Room 2C01.


What is an ePermit?

An ePermit provide permission to students in CUNY (York) to take courses at another CUNY institution (host campus). In order to receive permission, a student must meet certain requirements and eligibility to obtain approval. The ePermit is accessible through CUNYfirst.

Can I apply for an ePermit at any time?

No, an ePermit can only be applied for on or after the student's enrollment appointment date and time.  The ePermit application process closes a week before the semester begins. If students have any questions or concerns, contact the Office of the Registrar or visit during business hours in Room AC-1H06. 

Does ePermit only apply to CUNY schools? Can I take an ePermit at a Non- CUNY school?

Yes, an ePermit only applies to CUNY school.  However, a student can apply for a Non CUNY Permit by visiting the Office of the Registrar in Room 1H06.

How can I cancel an ePermit course?

In order to successfully cancel an ePermit course, students must drop the course registration at the host campus, cancel the ePermit via CUNYfirst and allow the ePermit Unit at York College 2 business days to process the cancellation. For more information and/or assistance, contact the Office of the Registrar-ePermit Unit during business hours in Room AC-1H06. In addition, speak to Financial Aid to see how canceling your ePermit will  impact your aid.


What does FERPA stand for?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) also known as, the Buckley Amendment is a federal law designed to protect the privacy of education records, to establish the right of students to inspect and review their education records, and to provide guidelines for the correction of inaccurate and misleading data through informal and formal hearings. The Act applies to all institutions that are recipients of federal aid administered by the Secretary of Education. Students who are currently enrolled or formerly enrolled regardless of their age or financial dependency status are protected under FERPA. For more information, read the CUNY FERPA Notification to Students.

What is directory information?

Directory information can be defined as the following: students name, attendance dates, home address, present address, email address, phone listing, date and place of birth, photograph, status (full/part-time and or undergraduate/graduate), degree program, credits completed, major, student activities and sports, previous school attended, and degrees, honors and awards received. This information may be released to anyone unless restricted by written authorization of the student. If you wish to restrict this information, please visit the Office of the Registrar in the Academic Core Building, Rm 1H06.

What can I do to prevent my directory information from being released?

Students who wish to keep their directory information from being released must fill out the CUNY Directory Information Non-Disclosure Form. By filling out this form, you may request that any or all directory information not be released without your prior written consent. You can submit this form to the Office of the Registrar in the Academic Core Building, Rm 1H06.

If I would like a parent, spouse and or family member to have access to my record, what form should I fill out?

If students wish to provide other individuals(s) access to your record(s), the student must complete the FERPA Authorization Form and return form to the Office of the Registrar.  The person(s) you are providing access to must show proper photo identification as well.

If I am a parent of a college student, do I have the right to see my child's education records, especially if I pay the bill?

The rights under FERPA transfer from the parents to the student, once the student turns 18 years old or enters a postsecondary institution at any age. However, although the rights under FERPA have now transferred to the student, a school may disclose information from an "eligible student's" education records to the parents of the student, without the student's consent, if the student is a dependent for tax purposes. Neither the age of the student nor the parent's status as a custodial parent is relevant. If a student is claimed as a dependent by either parent for tax purposes, then either parent may have access under this provision.

What if my child is a minor and he or she is taking classes at a local college while still in high school, do I have rights?

If a student is attending a postsecondary institution at any age, the rights under FERPA have transferred to the student. However, in a situation where a student is enrolled in both a high school and a postsecondary institution (i.e. College Now and York Early College Academy students), the two schools may exchange information on that student. If the student is under 18, the parents still retain the rights under FERPA at the high school and may inspect and review any records sent by the postsecondary institution to the high school.

What if I want to give an employer, a parent or a third party access to my record?

If a student decides to allow a person (s) and or third-party access to their student record, the student must fill out the FERPA - Permission for Access to Educational Records form. Students can submit their forms in to the Office of the Registrar in the Academic Core Building, Rm 1H06.

Can College Officials disclose part(s) of my record without my consent? If yes, under what circumstances?

There are several exceptions to FERPA's general prior consent rule that are set forth. One exception is the disclosure of "directory information" if the school follows certain procedures set forth in FERPA. Under section § 99.31 of FERPA, students are able to review the various exceptions/ circumstances as per FERPA regulations.

What should I do if I notice any discrepancies in my student record?

If there are any discrepancies with the student's file, he or she may ask the college to amend their record. Students should submit to the Registrar, Dean, Head of the Academic Department, or other appropriate officials, written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. If the records are not maintained by the college official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.

All requests shall be granted or denied in writing within 45 days of receipt. If the request is granted, you will be notified of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the request is denied or not responded to within 45 days, you may appeal to the college's FERPA appeals officer. Additional information regarding the appeals procedures will be provided to you if a request is denied.

Who should I contact if I have any questions or concerns?

Students can visit the Office of the Registrar in the Academic Core Building, Rm 1H06.


When do I apply for graduation?

Students are required to apply for graduation on CUNYfirst one semester prior to their expected final semester. See the College Academic Calendar for exact application deadline date. Students should seek advisement from their major department prior to applying for graduation, in order to ensure that they have taken the courses required for their major and are using the correct catalog.

How many credits do I need in order to apply for graduation?

In order to apply for graduation, students must have completed a minimum of 90 credits (Senior). At the end of every semester, all new seniors are made eligible to apply online for graduation.

How do I apply for graduation?

Students can apply for graduation on CUNYfirst via the Student Center or Self Service. Click on the "Apply for Graduation" link in Self-Service OR Select "Apply for Graduation" from the drop-down menu in your Student Center (as shown below). AND Follow the prompts/links until you hit the green "Submit Application" button.

Step 1: Sign onto your CUNYfirst account and select "Student Center".

Graduation Picture 1

Step 2: Under "Academic's you will see a drop-down menu. Select "Apply for Graduation"

Graduation Picture 2

Step 3: Verify that your major is correct and select from the available graduation terms. Then select "Continue".

Grad Pic 3

Step 4: Verify that your major and graduation term is correct. Then select "Submit Application".

Grad Pic 4

Step 5: You have successfully applied for graduation.

Grad Pic 5

What happens after I apply for graduation?

After you successfully submit your application for graduation, the Office of the Registrar will review your York College transcript to identify your outstanding degree requirements. This Graduation Checklist will be mailed to your home address (typically prior to the start of your final semester). In the event that you have not received this Graduation Checklist prior to the start of your final semester, please contact the Graduation Unit in the Office of the Registrar. You should consult your major department for advisement.

What are the degree requirements for my major?

The degree requirements are listed in the York College Bulletin which is available online. You may also access your degree requirements on Degree Works, the student advisement audit system through the CUNYfirst "Student Center". The requirements for your degree are taken from the bulletin which is in effect at the time you were matriculated and declared your major. Bulletins begin in the fall semester and end in the spring semester. Students who become matriculated in the summer term must follow the fall catalog of that year.

What is the Major Residency requirement?

At least half* of the credits in the major program must be taken at York College. Repeated courses do not count towards residency. (*Exceptions include: Accounting which requires 15 credits in Accounting courses at York and Nursing-RN which requires 25 credits in Nursing courses at York.)

How many Liberal Arts credits are required for graduation?

To earn a Bachelor of Science degree, students are required to complete 60 credits in Liberal Arts courses. To earn a Bachelor of Arts degree, students are required to complete 90 credits in Liberal Arts courses. This is a New York State Education Department requirement that MUST be completed.

What is the College Residency requirement?

Students are required to complete at least 40 credits at York College for residency. To graduate with honors, at least 56 credits must be taken at York College.

What GPA is required for graduation?

Most majors require a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 for major and overall GPA. Clinical Laboratory Science and Social Work majors require a 2.5 GPA. All Teacher Education majors require a 3.00 GPA. Occupational Therapy major requires a 2.8 GPA at the Undergraduate Level and a 3.0 GPA at the Graduate Level. 

What grade point average (GPA) do an undergraduate need in order to graduate with honors?

To Graduate with Honors the following criteria apply:

Cum Laude: 3.500 - 3.699.

Magna cum laude: 3.700 - 3.849.

Summa cum laude: 3.850 - 4.000.

Meet the College's residency requirement of 56 credits.

Computation of Graduation Honors will be based on all grades of A+ through F. NC, R and all failing grades will be calculated as F grades, including repeated courses with the Exclude Credit and GPA repeat code (CUNY F-grade policy).

How many majors and minors can I declare?

There is a limit of two majors and / or minors a student can declare. However, a course cannot be used to complete two different requirements (major/ minor). (For example a Biology major could not complete a Chemistry minor because each requires CHEM 231, 232, 233. If a student chooses to major in disciplines offering different types of degree (for example History [BA] and Biology [BS]), the student will only earn one degree based on their primary major.

Can I earn two degrees at the same time?

No. Students with more than one major will only earn one degree based on their primary major. Only students in the Occupational Therapy program will receive two degrees (Bachelor of Science and Master of Science).

Will the diploma show my major?

Bachelor's diplomas do not show the major, only the degree type.  The transcript will display any declared major(s) and minor(s).  Master's diplomas will show the major and the degree type.

The degree requirements have changed since I entered the York College. Will that affect my graduation?

Possibly. If a student stops attending the college for more than one consecutive semester, that student will be required to follow the current bulletin for Pathways General Education requirements upon re-admission. If a student stops attending the college for more than two consecutive semesters that student will also be required to follow the current bulletin for major requirements upon re-admission. Continuing students who have not missed any semesters can continue to follow the bulletin for the academic year in which they declared their major and were matriculated.

How many credits do I need to earn a degree at York?

Students are required to complete a minimum of 120 credits for a Bachelor's degree. Waivers of courses do not release students from acquiring the total number of credits required to earn a degree.

Is it possible for me to graduate in one semester and complete the courses required for my major during the following semester?

No, in order to graduate ALL degree requirements for all majors and minors must be completed at the same time.

Can I graduate if I have an incomplete (INC/PEN) grade in the semester that I apply and/or expect to graduate?

Students cannot graduate with an incomplete (INC/PEN) grade on his/her record. The graduation term would be postponed to the following term if the final grade is not received prior to the conferral date. If a change of final grade form is not received by the deadline on the Academic Calendar then the grade will be changed to an FIN, which will affect the cumulative GPA and may negatively impact eligibility for graduation. Student cannot be assigned a retroactive conferral date.

Can I graduate without the posting of my ePermit course?

No. All grades must be received for any course(s) taken on ePermit whether or not the course(s) is a degree requirement.

Can I receive a grade change after graduation?

No. Once a student has been granted a degree, grade changes for courses taken in semesters prior to receiving the degree are not permitted. If any student expects to receive a grade change, please notify the Graduation Unit in the Office of the Registrar immediately.

Can I improve my GPA after graduation?

No. Once a student has been conferred a degree, their undergraduate degree GPA will be frozen. Any additional classes taken after the conferral date will be applied towards the student's new degree GPA.

I missed the deadline for submitting my application for graduation online. Will I still be able to apply for that graduation term?

Yes, students who have registered for ALL degree requirements must visit the Office of the Registrar one month after the start of their final semester to request an application card. We will accept late applications up until one month prior to the degree conferral date. After then, a student must apply to graduate in the following graduation term.

I applied late for the Spring graduation term; can I still attend the commencement ceremony?

Yes. Student Activities will be notified to add a student's name to the list. A student's name may not appear in the commencement booklet depending on how late the student applied. Attending the ceremony does not mean that the student has graduated. The commencement booklet refers to all students as "Candidates" which means that students might possibly earn their degree that year.  The office of the Registrar will certify a student's graduation status after all final grades have been posted.

My major department plans to substitute or waive a major/pre-major requirement(s), when should the department submit the request?

These memos should be submitted to the Office of the Registrar no later than one month prior to the graduation date. Ideally, these requests should be submitted shortly after the department has advised and discussed it with the student.

Why do I have a Registration Hold for Potential Graduate?

This negative service indicator is placed during a student's final semester to prevent the potential graduate from registering for any future term(s).

Can I choose to defer my graduation?

Yes, complete the Application to Defer Graduation form and submit it to the Office of the Registrar at least one week before the conferral date. Once processed, the Registration hold and any lists which identify students as a potential graduate will be removed.

What is the difference between graduation (conferral) and commencement?

Students graduate at the point where all the degree requirements are satisfied. There are four conferral terms a year; Winter (February), Spring (June), Summer (September), Fall (January).

Commencement is a ceremony held once a year for all candidates for graduation of that year. The commencement date is published in the Academic Calendar for the Spring semester.

When can I pick up my diploma?

Diplomas are generally mailed to the students' home address approximately two months after the degree conferral date. Once the diplomas have been ordered, then we will mail you a letter with the anticipated delivery date and location.

Can I pick up my diploma at the college?

Diplomas are automatically mailed to the students.  A student may submit a written request to the Office of the Registrar-Graduation Unit prior to the conferral date to have the diploma mailed to York and held for pick-up. A photo ID will be required at time of pickup.

I graduated and have not received my diploma, who can I contact?

Please contact the Office of the Registrar at (718) 262-2145 or visit us in the Academic Core building in room 1H06.

Can I pick up my diploma if I have hold(s) on my account?

No. Negative service indicators (bursar, financial aid, and library) will prevent the student from picking up the diploma.  If the negative service indicators are not resolved, the Office of the Registrar will hold onto the student's diploma for 10 years.

When can I request a letter of completion?

Once all student grades have been posted in the system, students can formally request a letter of completion from the Office of the Registrar. These requests can take up to 5 business days for processing so plan accordingly. Certification letters with the degree posted on it are typically available within 3 weeks of the graduation date.

When can I request a transcript?

The order can be placed online using Transcript Plus. When placing the order, be sure to select "Hold for Degree" to prevent the transcript from being printed until after the degree is posted. Transcripts with the degree posted on it are typically available within 3 weeks after the graduation date.

I lost my diploma, how can I order a duplicate copy?

Students must complete an application for duplicate diploma certificate in the Office of the Registrar. A Photo ID and a written request indicating the reason for the request will be required. In addition, there is a $30 fee per duplicate diploma to be paid at the Office of the Bursar.  Any student mailing in the request will need to have their letter notarized and include a money order payable to "York College"

My name changed since I last graduated, how can I order a duplicate diploma with my current legal name?

Students must complete the "Change of Name" form and submit the necessary supporting documentation. Then you can submit the "Duplicate Diploma" form.

International Students

How do I stay in status?

Student will remain in status by registering for 12 or more credits every semester and maintaining a GPA of 2.0 or higher.

What happens if I go out of status?

Students that are out of status will be in the US illegally and will be reported to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Can I work on campus?

Yes, students can work on campus however, not for no more than 20 hours per week.

Can I work off-campus?

Yes, only in your related field of study. Be sure to visit the DSO for more information.

Do I qualify for lower tuition?

No. International students pay out-of-state tuition. 

Can I leave the US to visit my home country or go on vacation?

Yes. As long as classes are not in session and your I- 20 is signed by the Designated School Official (DSO). If there is an emergency in your home country, please visit the DSO for further information.


What is readmission?

Readmission is when a student who has been previously enrolled at York College takes a break of one or more semesters and decides to return to the college.

When do I need to readmit?

Students who have been separated from the college for one or more semesters in good academic standing (GPA 2.0 or higher) can apply for readmission through the Office of the Registrar. 

Do I need to pay a fee when I readmit?

Yes. There is a $20 non- refundable Readmission fee.

Do I need to meet any criteria(s) in order to readmit?

Yes, students whose cumulative GPA was 2.0 or higher can apply for readmission, in the Office of the Registrar. Students whose cumulative GPA was below a 2.0 when last in attendance at York must apply to the Committee on Academic Policy and Standards in the Academic Core Building, Room 4G04 for permission to readmit. If approved by the Committee the student must bring a copy of the approval along with a completed Readmission application to the Office of the Registrar.

Can I readmit if I was academically dismissed or on probation?

Students who were dismissed or placed on academic probation when last in attendance at York, must petition the Committee on Academic Policy and Standards (CAPS) in Room 4G04, in the Academic Core building. Once a student's petition is reviewed, the Committee will send notification to the student of their decision.


When does Registration begin and end for each term?

Please review the Academic Calendar.

How can I register for my classes on CUNYfirst?

Step 1:Go to York.cuny.edu

Step 2: Click on "Current Students" on the upper right-hand corner and then select "CUNYfirst""

How to login to CUNYfirst from the York College Website

Step 2: Sign onto your CUNYfirst account

CUNYfirst Login Screen

Step 3: Select "Search for Classes" on the upper right-hand corner

Regist Pic 3

Step 4: Make sure "Institution" is York College and "Term" is the semester you wish to take classes

Regist Pic 4

When I register for my courses online, I keep getting error messages, what should I do?

Please view the snapshots below:

Scenario 1: Student's may receive a message informing them that they do not meet the requirements for certain course(s).

Resolution: Student have not taken the requisites needed to register.

Error Reg Pic 1

Scenario 2: Student's repeating a course after a certain amount of times may receive the error message below.

Resolution: Student should visit the Office of the Registrar for more assistance.

Error Reg Pic 2

Scenario 3: Student  attempting to register for a course requiring department consent.

Resolution: Student should visit the department for consent to be entered in CUNYFirst.

Error Reg Pic 3

Scenario 4: Student's registering for a closed section will receive the following error message.

Resolution: Student should visit the department to request class permission.

Error Reg Pic 4

How do I know when courses are closed on CUNYfirst?

On the registration page, students will find a legend informing them of sections that are open, closed or if you need to waitlist. Below is the legend:

Closed class cunyfirst

Can I register for classes, if I have "Hold(s)" on my account?

There are certain "Negative Service" indicators (holds) that can prevent students from registering for their classes. Below are some Negative indicators that can prevent students from registering:

  1. Students with negative service indicators will notice a red icon at the top of their student services page. Students with negative service indicators should review their "Holds" on their Student Center page.Student reviewing their holds will see one or more items listed, such as the example below. Keep in mind students who attended other CUNY schools will see holds from their prior institution:

Negative Service indicator (Holds)

2. Student reviewing their holds will see one or more items listed, such as the example below. Keep in mind students who attended other CUNY schools will see holds from their prior institution:

Negative Service Indicator (Holds) 2

3.If students want more information pertaining to their hold, they can click on the active blue links under the "Hold Item" column and review their hold and know which office they can speak to. Below is an example of what students will see:

Negative Service Indicator (Holds) 3

I would like to re-take a course, is this possible?

Yes. If a student has passed a course(s) and want to re-take the course(s) for a better grade, they can re-take the course(s).  Students will not receive credit for re-taking the course.  However, both grades will always appear on the student's transcript and computed into the cumulative GPA. In addition, if receiving financial aid, you should inquire how re-taking course(s) can impact aid.

How do I add courses to my shopping cart?

Please follow the steps to get your courses onto the shopping cart.

If I place my courses in the shopping cart, does that guarantee that I have a seat in the class?

No. Students adding courses into their shopping cart has not secured a seat for classes. Placing the courses in the shopping cart simply assists students with knowing which course, section, time and date they want to take the for the semester.

How do I swap courses?

Please follow the steps in order to swap course(s). Please check the Academic Calendar for deadlines to swap each term without being charged.

How can I drop my courses?

Please follow the steps in order to drop the course(s). Please check the Academic Calendar for refund period.

When do I register for classes?

Students can register on their assigned enrollment appointment date and time. The enrollment appointment will be on the students CUNYfirst account, in "Student Services Center".

Second Degree Students

I graduated from York College and would like to pursue a second degree, where do I go?

York graduates must apply for a second degree in the Admissions Office AC-1B07.

Student Records

Would I be able to make copies of any documents on file?

No. Once student records are sent from Admissions to the Office of the Registrar, all documents become College property.

Who has access to my record?

You as the student have access and any other company(s) and/ or official(s) you give signed authorization using the FERPA - Permission for Access to Educational Records.

Transcript Request

Where can I request my official transcript?

Students can request their (official and unofficial)transcript online via Transcript Plus.

Can I access my unofficial transcript on CUNYfirst?

Yes. Please follow the steps below:

Step 1: Log onto your CUNYfirst account and select "Student Center"

Transcript Req 1

Step 2: Under "Academics" click on the drop-down menu and select "Transcript: View Unofficial Transcript".

Transcript Req 2

Step 3: Under "Report Type" select "Student Unofficial Transcript". Click "View Report" to view the transcript.

Transcript Req 3

Step 4: If students are having issues retrieving their unofficial transcripts, students should make sure that their pop-up locker is disabled. The screenshot below shows an icon that the pop-up locker is not allowing the student open their unofficial transcript on the web browser.

Transcript Req 4

Step 5: When students select to view their "Unofficial Transcript" on their student account, a new page will appear showing the student a history of when they last viewed their transcript. Students on this page can select "view report" to review their unofficial transcript.

Transcript Req 5

How much is an official transcript going to a CUNY school?

The fee is $2.00.

How much is an official transcript going to a Non- CUNY school?

The fee is $9.00.

Can I pick up my transcript order in person?

Under special circumstances, students may pick- up their transcript order. Please contact the Office of the Registrar or visit us during business hours in Room 1H06, for more information.

Transfer Credits/ Evaluation

How is a student's transcript evaluated?

Transcripts are evaluated by the Office of the Registrar- Transfer Credit Unit upon receipt of the student's application from the Admission's Office. Students should allow 8 business days after the receipt of their application, for the completion and posting of the evaluation in CUNYfirst.

What does "BL" (Blanket Credit) mean?

Students are being awarded transfer credits for the course, but no specific course equivalent is on file with the Office of the Registrar. The "BL", "999" and "998" courses can be re-evaluated by the appropriate academic department. You will have to provide course descriptions and/ or syllabus.

How do I get my transcripts re-evaluated?

Students should contact the Office of the Registrar and speak to the Transfer Evaluator responsible for their records. Re-evaluations are usually based on a change of major.