SAP Appeals Process
Students will be notified via CUNYfirst and York College email that they are no longer eligible for Financial Aid (Federal=PELL/ State=TAP) and have failed to meet SAP requirements.
A submission of an SAP Appeal does not guarentee an approval.
Students must have the following completed and submitted to the OSAS Secure Portal prior to the deadline in order to have a complete SAP Appeal Application:
- SAP Appeal Form
- Well-written personal statement explaining the extenuating circumstance that caused failure to meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements for the semester in question
- Academic Plan of Action - Signed by an Advisor (PELL only)
- Documentation to support your extenuating circumstance/ extreme situation
Appeals are approved for documented extreme situations only. Students who appeal will be approved only for the following federally defined reasons:
- Serious physical or mental illness of the student
- Serious physical or mental illness of the student's immediate family member
- Death of the student's immediate family member
- Other extreme circumstance
SAP Appeal Form
- The SAP Appeal form will attached to the email sent to your York College email account with the notification of the failure to meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements
- Please fill out the form completely and SIGN IT
- Well-written personal statement explaining the extenuating circumstance that caused poor academic performance during the semester in question
- Must be a typed statement
Academic Plan of Action (PELL Only)
- The Academic Plan should be filled out by the student and the Advisor together
- Both the student and the Advisor must sign the form
- The form can be found on the Financial Aid's Website here: Academic Plan of Action
Students must submit documentation to support the claim in their personal statement of extenuating circumstances/ extreme situations during the semester in question. Documentation can consist of:
- Evidence of personal illness (physician’s statement, hospital records, etc.) involving hospitalization or extended confinement
- Evidence of death of an immediate family member (copy of death certificate required) [immediate family member -mother, father, child, sibling, grandparent]
- Evidence of illness of an immediate family member of which you were the primary caretaker requiring your absence from classes for an extended period of time (must include a statement from a physician, social worker, etc. indicating your primary caretaking role with dates)
- Evidence of an emotionally disabling condition that prevented you from attending classes (must include a statement from a licensed therapist, physician, psychologist, social worker, etc.)
- Evidence of military duty (deployment orders)
- Evidence of involvement with social agencies; government entities; incarceration; or similar reasons that prevented you from attending classes (official documents with dates)
- Evidence of birth of your child during the semester (birth certificate)
- Evidence of any other extenuating circumstances/ extreme circumstances (eviction notice, divorce papers, police reports, etc.). (official documents with dates)
OSAS Secure Portal
Once all of the above have been completed the above steps, please upload all of the documents to the OSAS Secure Portal prior to the deadline.
NO Appeals will be accepted via email. All petitions must be submitted to the OSAS Secure Portal in order to be reviewed by the SAP Committee.
Please note; all decisions/results from the department will be sent through the OSAS Secure Portal emailing services. The email used to register for the OSAS Secure Portal System will be the email you receive the decision notification to.
If you have any questions please reach out to the Office of Student Academic Services SAP Support at email@example.com
* (Please note; All students who submit their appeal after the stated deadline will not be reviewed by the committee, and may not be eligible to recieve financial aid for the term)