Section Home

Retroactive Withdrawal Petition

Instructions to Upload Retroactive Withdrawal Petition onto our Secure Portal.

General Retroactive Withdrawal Information

  • Student who received a grade in the class (ex: F, C, D, etc.) cannot file a Retroactive Withdrawal petition.
  • Students can only petition a Retroactive Withdrawal on an “ FIN” or a “ WU” grade.
  • It is important that you complete the entire petition ( Petition Form AND CARD ) as well as submit all required documentation onto the OSAS Secure Portal.
  • Your petition will not be reviewed if any steps are omitted when submitting your petition to the portal.
  • To complete the Retroactive Withdrawal petition process, you are going to need to complete a series of steps required by the Committee on Academic Policy and Standards (CAPS). 

Retroactive Withdrawal Process

  1. To submit a Retroactive Withdrawal, please download and fill out the Retroactive Withdrawal petition AND the Retroactive Withdrawal Card completely. (Please note, if you fill out one without the other, the petition will not be reviewed until BOTH are completed.) You can download the petition and the card by clicking on the hyperlinks at the bottom of this web page.
  2. All students seeking retroactive withdrawal must submit a typed personal statement that explains: the semester and class(es) you wish to retroactively withdraw from, if you are withdrawing from all of your classes, if not all - why only the selected class(es), the extenuating circumstance that prevented you from completing your class(es)
  3. Students must also submit supporting documentation.
    (Documentation may include but is not limited to; medical documents, marriage license, death certificate, birth certificate, court documents, police reports, etc. )
  4. All students must submit a letter of last date of attendance for each class they wish to withdraw from.
    (To obtain a copy of the last date of attendance students must reach out to the course instructor or department.)
  5. Upload your completed (every line must be filled out) Retroactive Withdrawal petition and Retroactive Withdrawal card, typed personal statement, last date of attendance(s) , photo ID, as well as any supporting documentation to the OSAS Secure Portal.

Please review the Academic Calander for all College wide Withdrawal Deadline dates.

NO petitions will be accepted via email. All petitions must be submitted to the  OSAS Secure Portal in order to be reviewed by the CAPS Committee.

Please note; all decisions/results from the department will be sent through the OSAS Secure Portal emailing services. The email used to register for the Secure Portal System will be the email you receive the decision notification to.

To submit documents onto the OSAS Secure Portal, please use your York College Network if you are a current student or you can Register with your personal email if you are not enrolled at this time.

Should you require any assistance in the Appeal of Dismissal process please feel free to visit our website or contact our office at