Request items through ILLiad, the online Interlibrary Loan system.
To create an ILLiad account: After connecting to ILLiad (above), click on the "First Time Users" link and fill out the registration form.
York College's Interlibrary Loan Department still does the work behind the scenes, but ILLiad allows you (the patron) to:
- Check the status of your requests online through ILLiad at any time without having to contact the ILL department.
- View your requested article as a PDF file through ILLiad whenever possible.
- Request a renewal of ILL materials through ILLiad . If renewals are allowed, you will see "Renew Request" in the transaction item's full record.
What is Interlibrary Loan (ILL)?
Interlibrary Loan is the borrowing and lending of materials between libraries.
This service is offered by York College Library to provide our patrons access to materials not available on campus.
Who may use ILL?
Faculty, staff, and currently-enrolled students of York College can request materials that York College Library does not own. You must have an activated, unblocked CUNY Empl ID number in order for us to fulfill your request.
Items that may NOT be requested via ILL
- Textbooks - because they are generally in high demand at their home institutions, requests for textbooks will not be processed.
- Reference books.
- Media (DVDs, CDs, CD-ROMs, videotapes, etc).
- Books owned by CUNY - request them through CLICS.
- Articles available from York College's electronic resources.
- For books, students are limited to requesting no more than seven (7) Interlibrary Loan books under their account at a time, as per the Circulation and Reserve Services policy.
- Faculty and staff may request up to ten (10) Interlibrary Loan books under their account at a time.
- There is currently no limit on the number of artices that one can request. Copyright guidelines govern the number of requests that the same person can make from the same journal.
- Interlibrary Loan operations in the York College Library are essentially a one-person operation, so your patience is appreciated.
- Check library holdings to be certain that York College Library does not own the material. For books, first, check that the book is not available from another CUNY library. Click on "Books and More" and make sure you select "All CUNY Libraries" to search for the book. If it is available elsewhere in CUNY, you can place a request for the book yourself by using CLICS, which is often faster than ILL. If the book is not available from another CUNY library, you may request it through ILL.For articles, first, click on "E-Resources by Title" and search to make sure we do not have the journal, magazine, or newspaper electronically via our full-text databases. Also, check "Books and More" to make sure York does not own the periodical in print or on microfilm. From on-campus, you can also search Google with the article's title (in quotation marks) to see if we have access to the article through our databases or trial databases. If the article is not available through York College Library, you may request it through ILL.
- An interlibrary loan request must be completed for each item requested. Please carefully follow instructions and then submit your ILLiad request. Incomplete requests will not be processed.
- It is recommended that a minimum of 14 days be allowed to fulfill the request. Please plan accordingly.
- You will be notified by email when the requested item arrives. If your material is available electronically, you can download it from within ILLiad. Books or photocopies can be picked up at the reference desk.
- Return all ILL books to the reference desk, not the Circulation desk.
Use of Borrowed Materials
In order to make Interlibrary Loan an effective service, it is necessary to maintain good relations with other libraries. Loan periods and restrictions are set by the library that owns the item, and users must comply with their regulations. Most libraries lend material for two to four weeks, and material must be returned promptly. If a patron repeatedly disregards due dates, he/she will lose ILL privileges until all materials have been returned or paid for.
Request a renewal online via ILLiad. Renewals are granted at the discretion of the lending library, and renewal requests must be made before the due date so the lending library may be contacted.
Most books and articles are free to the patron, except where there is a charge by the lending institution. When there is a charge, every effort will be made to contact the patron before initiating the request.
York College's Interlibrary Loan Department
For further information, email the ILL Department