Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a type of financial aid awarded to students who demonstrate financial need and meet certain eligibility requirements.
The Federal Work-Study (FWS) program provides an opportunity to be placed in a part-time job that will accommodate your academic schedule during the school year. The opportunity to participate in a community service based organization or with the college will be given.
If you are awarded FWS, you must work in an eligible work-study job, either on-campus or off-campus, in order to receive the money. Placement assistance for work-study jobs can be found on-line on your Blackboard under "My Organization". You must have a FAFSA on file and demonstrate financial need in order to be eligible for FWS. Eligibilty is checked monthly throughout the end of the academic year.
All awarded Federal Work-Study students must follow these criteria:
- Have an FWS Award on CUNYfirst or be awarded a discretionary amount and must accept it
- Registered for at least 6 credits
- Must be making Satisfactory Academic Progress
- Must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, refugee, or asylee
- Must work at an FWS-approved on-campus or off-campus worksite
- Work no more than 20 hours per week.
TAX Return Document: W-2, Wage and Tax Statement
Your Federal Work-Study (FWS) Form W-2, Wage, and Tax Statement are available on CUNYfirst Self-Service at the beginning of the fiscal year.
You must grant consent to start receiving an electronic form W-2
To review, download, and print your Form W-2, log in to CUNYfirst (Campus Solution). Navigate to (Self-Service > Payroll and Compensation > View W-2/W-2c) and click the link to download your file.
Pay rate is determined at the begining of each semester.
Grade Level Pay Rate: Freshman $18.00 per hour, Sophomore $18.00 per hour, Junior $18.50 per hour, Senior $18.50 per hour.
Off-campus rate varies per hour.
FWS Orientation - Available on your Blackboard in "My Organization" panel
Please accept your FWS Award offer as soon as possible. Eligible applicants will be emailed an invitation to access the orientation presentation, quiz and application forms on Blackboard "Federal Work Study Student Orientation" in "My Organizations" panel.
Please, click on the following links logging to blackboard, or lockdown browser or report any technical issues to Bbhelp@york.cuny.edu for assistance.
Work-study students must watch the online presentation and pass the quiz in order to be given access to complete the steps to acquire a placement. Invitation to participate in the program will be emailed to students eligible students on a monthly basis.
Students are given three chances to pass the online quiz. Failure to pass the quiz after three consecutive attempts must wait for another email invitation to try again.
Once the quiz is passed, a certificate is generated. Student must present the certificate at the interview. The next step will be to complete all required forms and upload them on the Blackboard portal. After all forms are uploaded, access is granted to the jobs. Availability of jobs is updated regularly. Students should be able to check the system as often.
Supervisors do have the need forms for hire. Student should email mail, call supervisors to request an interview. After both supervisor and student forms are submitted, student will be notified to begin work.
In order to begin work, eligible work-study students must complete all of the following:
- You must accept your FWS award on CUNYfirst
- Watch the FWS orientation session online and pass the quiz every award year.*
- Registered for at least 6 credits in the semester.
- Must be making Satisfactory Academic Progress.
Important Award Year Dates
- August 16, 2023 - Last day to work in Summer 2023.
- August 25, 2023 - First day to work in Fall 2023 (all documents submitted and email received).
- December 20, 2023 - Last day of Fall work.
- Working During Breaks: students may work as needed by the supervisor, but must have already enrolled at least 6 credits for the incoming semester.
- Winter Session - December 27, 2023, to January 23, 2024.
- January 25, 2024 - First day to work in Spring 2024 (You must receive a Confirmation Email before starting).
- Spring Recess - April 22 to April 30, 2024.
- May 22, 2024 - Last day to work for the 2024 Award Year.
Job Placement Procedure
Students must submit all documentation on Blackboard before job vacancy list can be seen. Working at a site. Site supervisor will submit the forms. Once forms are processed, student will be sent confirmation to start working. Students should not start working prior to receiving or without a clearance notification.
Expectation Before Being Hired
- Submit complete forms and supporting documents on Blackboard
- Write down the contact information on the jobs you are interested in.
- Call, email and arrange an interview with the site/job supervisor.
- Bring your quiz certification to the interview. If hired, get two (2) signatures for the contract.
- Wait for your supervisor to call you to start working.
- If you cannot find a job, please contact Ms. Morrison by email for assistance.
- All technical concerns should be directed to BBhelp@york.cuny.edu
Off-Campus Job Information
All jobs are available online on Blackboard.
Public Service Corps Info and Application
- NYC DCAS Public Service Corps Information Flyer
- NYC DCAS Public Service Corps Application
- 2019-2020 CUNY FWS Program & Policy Manual