Section Home

Federal Grants and Loans

A number of federal grants are available to those students who qualify.

Pell Grant

Federal Pell Grants may be used to pay Tuition, if your tuition is covered by other means, then the funds can be used to buy books and supplies or pay transportation costs. This grant is available only to students who have not earned a first Bachelor’s Degree or Professional Certificate. Award amounts for the 2023-2024 Academic Year ranges from a minimum of $383.50 to a maximum of $7,395 for full-time study. The amount of Pell you can receive depends on the EFC (Expected Family Contribution) and the Enrollment Status. Students will be limited to 12 terms of full-time Pell payments or its equivalent for part-time study. For more information, see the Pell Grant Schedule.

The FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) is the application for Federal Student Assistance. You can apply before been admitted to York starting October 1st prior to the Academic Year you plan to attend College. Apply online by going to For assistance with completing the FAFSA or to obtain a paper FAFSA you can call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-433-3243. For Federal Student Financial Aid information online, go to

Supplemental educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

The Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant is a Federal Program which helps Students with exceptional need to meet Educationally related espenses. SEOG awards are made to supplement other forms of financial aid and do not have to be repaid. This grant is available only to Students who have not earned a first Bachelor Degree or Professional Certificate. These funds are limited. Applicants should the FAFSA as early as possible to be considered for this grant..

Federal Direct Loans


Federal Direct Loans are either Subsidized or Unsubsidized. The Federal Government will pay the interest on Subsidized Loans while a Student is enrolled at least half-time or has six or more units load. Eligible Students must meet certain criteria such as completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and having some financial need. Unsubsidized Loans are available regardless of financial need. Interest is usually charged to the Student and Parents (see PLUS) while the Student is in School and up to when the Loan is paid in full.

Interest Rates
Interest Rate and Fees for Federal Student Loans


Graduate Students do not have to request a Loan. Once the FAFSA is received and the required documentation is completed (if any), an Unsubsidized Loan will be automatically packaged. Students would need to accept, decline or reduce the loan amount on CUNYFirst.

PLUS and Grad-PLUS for Graduates and Parents of Undergraduates

A credit-based unsubsidized loan for Graduate and Parent of Undergraduate Students. Students must download the application that is available on the Financial Aid website "Forms". Maximum Loan = 'Cost of Attendance' - All other financial aid.

To Apply for a Federal Direct Loan.

Submitting a Federal Direct Loan Application via CUNYfirst

  • You must have completed the FAFSA and TAP applications
  • As a first-time borrower at York College, you must complete the Entrance Counseling session and sign the Master Promissory Note (MPN).
  • You must complete an Annual Student Loan Acknowledgment each year you accept a new federal student loan.
  • You must register for at least six credits for each semester for which you request a loan
  • You must be making satisfactory academic progress for each semester you are requesting a loan
  1. Log into your CUNYfirst Account
  2. Student Center
  3. Select 'Financial Aid'
  4. Click on 'Direct Loan Processing Form'
  5. Institution: YRK01
  6. Add the Aid Year
  7. Read all instructional pages prior to completing the request
  8. Place a whole round number for your desired loan amount (example -$1,500)
  9. In the SUMMER, FALL, and SPRING boxes, indicate the number of credits you are/will be enrolled if you want a loan for that semester. Loan will be equally divided amongst the semesters requested.

You must complete exit counseling when you leave York College, graduate or every time you drop below half-time enrollment. The purpose of the exit counseling is to ensure that you understand the student loan obligations and are prepared for repayment.
Please inform the Financial Aid Office upon completion of your exit interview or submit a copy of the Confirmation/Congratulations page of each exit counseling using the secure "Documents Upload" Portal. Most "Exit" holds are manually released within 1-3 business days, once a copy is received.