This checklist should only be used as a guidepost.
Please be sure to contact our office early if you are planning to submit a grant proposal. Each agency is different and many situations require additional planning. Once a funding source is identified, please use this checklist to help you with the nuts and bolts of preparing your proposal.
- Obtain and read the latest RFP/guidelines and forms from the sponsor
- Verify eligibility of PI and institution
- Contact ORSP and send Internal Proposal Approval Checklist
- Determine requirements of the project:
- Personnel equipment/supplies
- Are you collaborating with another institution? Get the contact information from your collaborator and forward it to ORSP. You will need the following from the other institution:
- Authorizing Official Letter of Collaboration and Sub-recipient Commitment Form
- Statement of work
- Budget and justification
- Facilities statement
- Biosketch/CV of your collaborator(s)
- Collect CVs (be sure of the appropriate format for the proposal).
- Obtain letters of support.
- Are you using human subjects or animals; do you have approval? If not, contact the Office of Regulatory Compliance at 718-997-5415.
- Has everyone completed the Responsible Conduct of Research Training? Are the certificates on file?
- Has the PI completed Conflict of Interest Training and is the certificate on file?
- Does the project involve an international collaboration that would require an export control review?
- Draft proposal and get someone else to review.
- Make sure your fonts, margins, and other formatting issues are in compliance with sponsor guidelines.
- Finalize budget and forms--including the Financial Disclosure Form and subcontracting forms, if needed--with ORSP at least 5 days before the deadline.
- Obtain final signatory approval from ORSP.