Skip to Main Content


Borrowing money to pay your tuition and other educational costs.

We understand that student loans are often a burden for recent college graduates, however, borrowing money to pay for tuition and other educational costs may be the key to realizing your educational goals.

Federal Direct Stafford Loan


Federal Direct Loans are either subsidized or unsubsidized. The federal government will pay the interest on subsidized loans while a student is enrolled at least half-time or has six or more units load. Eligible students must meet certain criteria such as completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and having some financial need. Unsubsidized loans are available regardless of financial need. Interest is usually charged to the student and parents (see PLUS) while the student is in school and up to when the loan is paid in full.

Interest Rates

Interest Rates and Fees for Federal Student Loans


Graduate students do not have to request an Unsubsidized Loan. Once the FAFSA is received and the required documentation is completed (if any), the loan will be automatically packaged. Students would need to accept or decline the loan on CUNYFirst.

PLUS and GradPLUS for students and parents of Undergraduates and Graduates: Credit-based unsubsidized Loan for Graduate Students. Students may download the form online or visit the Financial Aid office in room 1M08 to complete and submit the application.
Maximum = "Cost of attendance" less all other financial aid.

To apply for a Federal Direct Stafford Loan

  • You must have completed the FAFSA application
  • As a first-time borrower at York College, you must complete the Entrance Counseling session and sign the Master Promissory Note (MPN).
  • You must complete an Annual Student Loan Acknowledgment each year you accept a new federal student loan.
    • Steps to completing your loan request in CUNYfirst
      • login to CUNYfirst
      • Select "Financial Aid" from the menu/list.
      • On the left panel under "Summary" click on the "Direct Loan Processing Form" link.
      • Based on your academic level and dependency status, indicate the amount you wish to apply for
      • Indicate the number of credits you are taking for the semester(s) you wish to apply for. (Do not apply for any semester under six[6] credits. You may request an academic year loan if you will need a loan for more than a semester).
      • Allow 4-6 weeks for processing.

Fades Workshops (work in progress)

Workshops are available to help students apply for federal loans, as well as understand the borrowing and repayment process. We strongly recommend that first-time loan borrowers complete an Annual Student Loan Acknowledgment each year they accept a loan and attend one of our Federal Loan Entrance Workshops once available.

Alternative Student Loan

Before applying for an alternative student --Private Education-- loan, we strongly recommend that you exhaust all of your federal loan eligibility (subsidized and unsubsidized loans).

Due to federal law, York College does not provide a preferred lender list to students. You have the right to choose to borrow your loan from any lender who participates in the program under which you are eligible to borrow.

In order for your alternative loan request to be certified by York College and processed by your lender, you must be registered with at least the minimum required credits per your lender for the semester.

Your loan period may only cover one academic school year including Summer, Fall, and Spring.

Alternative Loan requests should be forwarded to L. Brenda Brown in the Financial Aid Office. It will take approximately two (2) to four (4) weeks for certification to be completed.

Your disbursement date is set for nine (9) business days from the date of certification or 30 days before the first day of classes.

Once your request has been certified you will receive a Disbursement of Notification.

Once your loan check arrives, the Bursar Office will notify you by phone to come and sign the check to pay your tuition and fees.

Alternative loan refunds are handled by York College Bursar Office Rm. AC-1H01 - Tel: 718.262.2180

You may log into your CUNYfirst account at any time to check the status of your loan.

Exit Counseling

Please read this entire message carefully. Failure to properly submit the required confirmation page will result in further delays.

All Federal Direct Loans and Perkins Loan borrowers are required to submit and complete an Exit Interview Counseling, each time, once you are no longer enrolled or are at least half time (6cr), prior to graduating, withdrawing, or taking a leave of absence. 

Federal Direct Student Loans

Federal Perkins Student Loans

If you have completed one or more loans listed above, you are required to submit proof of your completed Exit Counseling Interview. 
**NOTE: York College does not receive automatic access to your file.

You must submit a copy of the Confirmation/Congratulations page of each Exit Counseling completed to the Financial Aid Office.

If your last Date of Attendance is on or before 2015, please complete the attached Negative Service Indicator Request Form. 

**This form is required in order to process requests only for accounts 6 years or older.

Please use the secure Documents Upload portal to upload the Exit Counseling Confirmation/Congratulations Page.  Avoid sensitive document submission by email unless otherwise instructed – emails are usually not secure.

Please note that Exit Holds are released within 1-3 business days, once a student copy is received from the secure Documents Upload portal
Exit Holds are manually released within 1-2 business weeks, once the NSLDS reports are reviewed.

If additional issues are affecting your Federal Student Loan status, they must be resolved, first, before your request is approved.

COVID-19 Emergency Relief and Federal Student Aid