Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a type of financial aid awarded to students who demonstrate financial need and meet certain eligibility requirements.
The Federal Work-Study (FWS) program provides an opportunity to be placed in a part-time job that will accommodate your academic schedule during the school year.
If you are awarded FWS, you must work in an eligible work-study job, either on-campus or off-campus, in order to receive the money. Placement assistance for work-study jobs can be found at Student Financial Services. You must have a FAFSA on file and demonstrate financial need in order to be eligible for FWS.
Federal Work-Study Frequently Asked Questions
All awarded Federal Work-Study students must follow these criteria:
- Have an FWS Award on CUNYfirst and must accept it
- Registered for at least 6 credits
- Must be making Satisfactory Academic Progress
- Must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, refugee, or asylee
- Must work at an FWS-approved on-campus or off-campus worksite
- Work no more than 20 hours per week.
TAX Return Document: W-2, Wage and Tax Statement
Your Federal Work-Study (FWS) Form W-2, Wage, and Tax Statement are available on CUNYfirst Self-Service at the beginning of the fiscal year.
You must grant consent to start receiving an electronic form W-2
To review, download, and print your Form W-2, log in to CUNYfirst (Campus Solution). Navigate to (Self-Service > Payroll and Compensation > View W-2/W-2c) and click the link to download your file.
W-2 Form frequently asked questions
Grade LevelPay RateFreshman$17.00 per hourSophomore$17.00 per hourJunior$17.50 per hourSenior$17.50 per hour
Off-campus salary varies per hour.
FWS Orientation - Online with Zoom
Work-study students must attend an orientation to begin working. Invites to FWS orientations will be emailed to students. Only awarded students, at present, are allowed to work. The cut-off date for awarding is August 4th, 2022.
- July 1, 2022 - First day to work Summer 2022 (You must receive a Confirmation Email before starting).
- August 15, 2022 - Last day to work in Summer 2022.
- August 24, 2022 - First day to work in Fall 2022.
- Working During Breaks: All students may continue to work during these breaks as needed by the supervisor.
- Winter Session - January 3, 2023 to January 24, 2023.
- January 25, 2023 - First day to work in Spring 2023 (You must receive a Confirmation Email before starting).
- Spring Recess - April 5 to April 13, 2023.
- May 23, 2023 - Last day to work for the 2022-2023 Academic Year.
The deadline to accept your FWS Award is September 30, 2022. Paperwork for Spring 2023 is due back by Monday, February 27, 2023. The unaccepted award will be deleted thereafter.
In order to begin work, eligible work-study students must complete all of the following:
- You must accept your FWS award on CUNYfirst
- Attend one (1) FWS orientation session.*
- Registered for at least 6 credits in the spring 2023 semester.
- Must be making Satisfactory Academic Progress.
Spring 2023 Online (Zoom) and In Person Orientation Sessions - Invitation Only
January 20, 2023
January 23, 2023
January 31, 2023
In Person in Room 3D01
February 8, 2023
February 16, 2023
* You must attend only one (1) Fall or Spring orientation in order to work for the Fall or Spring semester.
Please, report 15 minutes early. You will not be allowed in any session if you arrive 10 minutes after the session starts. Each session is expected to last 45 minutes.
Required Documents will be distributed during orientation sessions. Paperwork due back 03/03/2023.
Job Placement Procedure
Students must submit all documentation before working at a site.
What to do after Orientation
- Write down the contact information on the jobs you are interested in.
- Call and arrange an interview.
- Take your contract to the interview. If hired, get two (2) signatures for the contract.
- Return the signed contract with IDs (original and copy) to Ms. Morrison before or by due date.
- Wait for your supervisor to call you to start working.
- If you cannot find a job, please contact Ms. Morrison.
Off-Campus Job Information
All interested students must be approved by the FWS Coordinator, Ms. Cheryl Morrison in order to work off-campus. Students must be advised that payment schedules are managed by Public Service Corps and should consult their supervisor.
Public Service Corps Info and Application
- NYC DCAS Public Service Corps Information Flyer
- NYC DCAS Public Service Corps Application
- 2019-2020 CUNY FWS Program & Policy Manual
If You Missed the Fall FWS Orientation
If you missed the Fall FWS this is what you can do.
FWS Supervisors Only
Useful information for FWS Supervisors
FWS Payroll Calender
2022 - 2023 Payroll Calendar for Federal Work Study.
FWS Jobs Listing Fall 2022
2022-2023 Academic Year. On-campus jobs, Job inquiries are for FWS Orientated students with 6 or more credits
Public Service Corps Info
The New York City Public Service Corps (PSC) is dedicated to providing undergraduate and graduate students with opportunities to serve their communities, build occupational skills, and learn about careers in the public sector.
Federal Work Study On-Campus Supervisors Training