Setting Test Options
After creating your test, you need to deploy it so that your students can access it. It includes understanding each of the options and setting them up appropriately.
- If you created your test in the Course Management > Course Tools > Tests, Surveys and Pools > Tests, go to a content page such as Assignments in your course. Click Assessments > Test. In the "Add Test" section, pick the test you want to deploy and click Submit.
- If you have a test already listed in a content page such as Assignments, Exams, but is not available to students, click the down arrow on the right of the test name and select "Edit the Test Options."
The explanations below for all settings follow the sequence of Bb "Edit Test Options" page. If you are just interested in a specific setting, scroll down to view.
Open test in new window:
- Yes - it means that the test page will open in a new browser window or tab other than the tab or window of your course page. During a test students can switch back and forth between the test page and your course page.
- No - it means that the test page will open within your course page.
Which one to choose? The answer is that it doesn't matter. Students can always open another browser window on the same computer screen or another device to access your course page unless a browser lock down tool is used.
- Make available to students - check Yes if you want students to take it in the semester. Use "Display After" and "Display Until" on this page below to restrict the time when students can access it.
- Add a new announcement for this test - a sample of a Bb standard announcement is shown below. If the test is not available to students, the announcement will not be posted. The recommendation is to check "No" for this option and send your own announcement at an appropriate time to students.
- If it is a high stake test, do not allow multiple attempts.
- If it is a low stake test, you can check the check box for "Multiple Attempts," then select the radio button for "Number of Attempts" and fill in the number of attempts.
- If it is for students to practice, you can allow them unlimited attempts.
When allowing for multiple attempts, you can choose which attempt score is used for the grade of the test. Click the drop down box for "Score attempts using" and select one among "Last graded attempt," "Highest grade," "Lowest grade," "First graded attempt" and "Average of graded attempts."
Force Completion and Timer
- Force Completion - We recommend that you do not check "Force Completion." Many students use wifi which can have a few seconds or longer disconnection. When it happens while students are taking a test, their sessions are interrupted. If you force completion, Bb will not allow students to come back to the exam after the wifi is back. Students have to contact you asking you to clear their attempt so that they can get in the test and re-take it. Not forcing completion doesn't give students more time for the test. If a student's Bb is disconnected for a few seconds or a minute at 15 min after they start the test, timer will continue. When they come back 1 min after they are disconnected, the timer will be at 16 min. All their answers to previous questions are saved and they can continue the test and the timer will continue.
- Set Timer - If it is a timed test, we recommend that you turn Auto-Submit ON so that Bb will submit the test when the time is over automatically and all students have equal time for the test.
Set up the time interval when students can access the test
Check the check boxes for "Display After" and "Display Until" then click each of the calendar icons to set dates and clock icons to set time.
Password is case sensitive. The recommendation is not to add a password. It just adds one more unnecessary hurdle to students.
Test Availability Exceptions
This is used to give some student(s) extra time or/and a different test day.
- Click "Add User or Group" button. A pop-up window appears with your student names. Check the check box(es) on the left of the student(s) for whom you want to give extra time or/and a different test day. Click Submit.
- In the box under Timer, modify the time.
- If you want to give a different day to take the test, click the calendar icon under Availability to select a different day and time intervals.
- If you want to remove the exception from a student, click the "x" icon on the right for that student.
The due date for a test is included in the course notifications which can remind students about the test.
- Leave the check mark for "Include this test in Grade Center score calculations" in case you want it to be part of the course grade. If you decide not to include it in the course grade later, you can simply not add it in the "Weighted Total" calculation.
- If you check the check box for "Hide results for this test completely from the instructor and the Grade Center," you will not be able to see students' scores for this test. Use this option if you want students to practice.
Show Test Results and Feedback to Students
On the left, under WHEN, you can choose two settings.
- One by default is "After Submission," e.g. immediately after students submit their tests. If all questions in the test can be graded by Bb, students will see their test score. Allowing students to see their scores for a test immediately after they submit it enables instant feedback. It can motivate students to study. If the test has short answer or essay questions that cannot be graded by Bb, students cannot see the test score anyway.
- If you check the check box under "Score per question," students will see all questions with their respective scores. This is not recommended if students don't take the test at the same time. Otherwise, the students taking the test at a latter time might get the test questions from their classmates taking it at an earlier time.
- It is also recommended to not check the rest of the boxes immediately after the test submission if the test score is part of the course grade.
- For the second choice under WHEN on the left, choose one from a few options. This setting provides opportunity for you to release questions, students submitted answers, correct answers and feedback, if there is any, to students after all students submit the test.
- It is recommended selecting "On Specific Date" with which you can choose exact date and time when all students can see what you want them to see depending on which check boxes you check.
- If you choose any of the other 3 options, each of them depends on your settings for each corresponding date.
- It is recommended to choose "One at a Time." If you choose "All at Once," students will see all test questions on one screen/page. It makes it easier for them to take photos or screenshots and send them to peers.
- To reduce cheating, check the checkbox for "Prohibit Backtracking" so that students cannot go back to change their answers later.
- Check the check box for "Randomize Questions" to make it harder for students to discuss and compare answers to test questions among themselves.
Now click Submit to save your settings. Your test is ready to go.