Department of Chemistry
The application process for the 2019 cycle has begun. Applications are currently being accepted for Spring 2019.
The Chemistry Program has three principal objectives:
- to prepare chemistry majors for careers in chemistry or related areas such as medicine, dentistry or the health professions;
- to provide students in other disciplines with the required chemistry courses for their programs; and
- to provide non-science majors with an opportunity to acquire knowledge of our natural and technological environment as explained through chemical principles.
The chemistry major provides the student with a sound foundation in the theoretical and experimental principles of chemistry. The course of study includes the areas of analytical, inorganic, organic, physical chemistry and biochemistry. The major prepares students for advanced study in graduate school, professional programs in medicine and dentistry, and careers in teaching, industry, and government that require a bachelor's degree in Chemistry.
The Pharmaceutical Science Program has two principal objectives:
- to prepare pharmaceutical science majors for careers in the flourishing New York and tri-state-based pharmaceutical, cosmetics, chemical and related industries;
- to ensure that graduates of the program can be employed in areas such as drug discovery, research and development, product formulation and manufacturing, process improvement, pharmacokinetics and metabolism, drug safety and surveillance, regulatory affairs and licensing.
In addition, graduates of the program will be able to pursue graduate studies leading to M.D., D.D.S., B.S/M.S. or Ph.D. degrees. Students pursuing the B.S. in Pharmaceutical Science must meet the General Education Requirements for a Chemistry Major plus complete three mandatory Pharmaceutical Science courses, a 3-credit Chemistry course, as well as an elective Pharmaceutical Science course.
Academic Core Bldg, Room 3F01