Section Home

group of students

Other Applicants

Prospective students seeking a non-traditional college experience are welcome to attend York college as a non-degree, e-permit, or senior citizen.

Students who want to take courses at York College as non-matriculated student must submit a Non-Degree application.

Applicants who have started post-secondary work with a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher, may file a non-degree application and submit transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended. If the cumulative grade point average falls below 2.0, the applicant will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis and will be required to submit "official" transcripts from all institutions attended. Under no circumstances will grade reports be accepted.

Note: All non-degree applicants must take and pass the CUNY Assessment Tests or be otherwise exempt.

York College reserved the right not to admit students into non-degree status based on prior educational background.

Application and Fee

To submit your non-degree application, you must upload your application and unofficial transcripts on the Admission's "Documents Upload" link. Once processed, you will receive a link to make a payment on the Cunyfirst account. (At this time, we are not accepting mailed applications or transcripts to our facility.)

Non-Degree Application

Please note that non-degree students are not eligible for financial aid or student loans and are billed at the non-degree tuition rate.

It is highly recommended that you complete your Non-Degree application before the first day of classes. It is the student's responsibility to clear all enrollment steps before registering for classes. Also, please note, it takes 24 hours to clear the immunization service indicators on the CUNYFirst system.

Matriculation Policy

Non-degree students are eligible to apply for matriculation (degree status) during the semester in which they meet the requirements for a change of status. The change takes effect the following semester.

The student must meet the following conditions prior to the intended semester of matriculation:

  1. Pass all CUNY Skills Assessment Tests
  2. Earn a minimum of 6 York College credits with a 2.5 or higher GPA
  3. Have all prior official transcripts on file in the Office of the Registrar

Applications for a Change of Status can be obtained in the Office of the Registrar.

Students who already hold a baccalaureate degree from an institution, and who wish to pursue a second degree, must apply to York as transfer students.

All transfer students must submit the following:

  1. CUNY Transfer Application

  2. $70 application fee

  3. Official transcripts from each college or postsecondary institution attended

Transfer students seeking admission are invited to apply online or call the office at (718) 262-2165.

If accepted, a second-degree student must complete a minimum of 40 credits at York College, in addition to the General Education Requirements. Applicants from regionally accredited senior colleges are exempt from all skills tests and General Education Requirements.

At least 75% of the course requirements of the major program of the second degree must be completed at York.

Move your career forward!

Have you thought about going to college? Do you think you're too old or that its too late to start?  
Think again! Here, at CUNY York College, it's never too late and it would be our pleasure to guide you though this next step in your educational journey. With the Adult Learner program you'll be assigned a dedicated representative and find a one-stop-shop to get you right on your way! Reach out to us TODAY!  

Senior citizens who are New York State residents who are 60 or older may be enrolled in undergraduate courses on a space-available basis, without tuition or fee charges except as indicated below, provided they do so on an audit basis. Senior Citizens who audit undergraduate courses will not receive degree credit and grades of "AUD" will be assigned. Senior Citizens will be required to pay a $65.00 non-instructional charge and a $15.00 consolidated service fee for the semester, as well as any penalty fees (i.e., late registration, library fines, reprocessing fees, etc.) Senior Citizens who wish to enroll for credit may opt to do so on the same basis as any other degree-credit student. They shall pay the applicable tuition and fees.

Admissions Process:

  • Must complete non-degree application,
  • Submit proof of age (Medicare card, driver's license, non-driver's ID, or birth certificate)
  • Pay the non-degree application fee.

New York State Residency

In general, to qualify for the University’s resident tuition rate, a student must establish that he/she is a US Citizen; or a Permanent Resident; or has a Qualifying Immigration Status and is a New York State or City “resident”, as applicable, based on the requirements set forth by the University. For more information, please visit the CUNY Website

Immunization Requirement

New York State Public Health Law 2165 requires all students entering a post-secondary institution to provide their health services center with immunity to Measles, Mumps, and Rubella. This law applies to students born on or after January 1, 1957, who are registered for 6 or more credits at a CUNY campus. Proof of immunity must be documented by a healthcare practitioner. For more information please see the Student Health Services Center.