Course Import: re-use materials from a course that is no longer on Bb
If you can find your previous course file exported from Bb in your computer
Go to the appropriate folder on your computer to locate the file. Then go to your new course. In the Course Management section, open the Packages and Utilities tab, click on “Import Package/View Logs”. On the Import Package/View Logs page, click “Import Package”. Then click “Browse My Computer” to find your exported course package in zip format. Click on the file name and click on Open.
You are back to the Import Package page where you will select what to import.
Scenario 1: Do not re-use the grade center columns and settings as well as learning activities such as discussion board, blogs, tests, assignments in the old course
This option enables you to clean up the grade center easily and provides opportunities to re-think about learning activities.
In this case, you should select “Content Areas” under “Select Course Materials”. If you want to re-use the test questions, select “Test, Surveys and Pools”. Then click Submit.
Course import can take a few minutes to a few hours. When the course import is completed, you will receive an email notification. Then you can go to your new course and do the following (you will need to scroll down once you clicked on the tutorial) :
- Updating the course syllabus and creating a syllabus quiz by following the tutorial on 1.3.2 Setting up your first learning activity: a syllabus quiz ;
- Setting up your grading breakdown in the grade center by following the tutorials on 188.8.131.52 Setting up your grading breakdown ;
- Clean up your course menu by following the tutorial on 1.4.4 Adding and deleting menu links to tools and content areas; re-ordering links ;
- Changing the looks of your course, making it available to students and announcing it is open to students by following the tutorial on 1.5 Changing the looks of your course, making your course available, and sending a welcome announcement ;
- Setting up learning activities and assessments you choose to use at appropriate times by following the tutorials in the During the Semester section.
Scenario 2: Import almost everything including the grade center columns and settings
In this case, you should click “Select All” button under “Select Course Materials”. If you don’t want to import the announcements, uncheck the Announcements checkbox. If you want to import discussion forum instructions and settings, but not the initial threads created by students, under “Discussion Board” check the radio button for “Include only the forums, with no starter posts.” Leave everything else as is. Click Submit.
Course import can take a few minutes to a few hours. When the course import is completed, you will receive an email notification. Then you can go to your new course and do the following:
- Cleaning up the course menu by following the tutorial on 1.4.4 Adding and deleting menu links to tools and content areas; re-ordering links ;
- Reviewing and updating your course materials when appropriate.