CUNY provides Dropbox and Dropbox Paper to all active CUNY students, faculty and administrative staff. You can store and access files from different devices (such as computer and mobile), share files, and collaborate on content. In this tutorial, you will learn to access Dropbox, upload, and share videos while not allowing others to download the video.
To stream your video but disallow downloading, the video format should be in mp4. When sharing a video, create a share link for viewing and post in your Blackboard (Bb) content editor also know as text box.
- Unlimited storage for your videos
- You can add timed annotations in your videos
Logging into Dropbox
- Sign in at dropbox.cuny.edu using your CUNYFirst credentials.
- Click "Continue".
You now have access to your CUNY Dropbox account.
If you have multiple videos, we recommend to organize them in folders. Here's how to create folders in Dropbox:
- In your CUNY Dropbox, click on "All files" located on the left-hand side. Click on " > " symbol next to "All files" to view previous created folders.
- On the right, click " + Create " then "Folder".
- Add a title and press "Create"
Great, the new folder is created. If you wish to create another folder, click "All files" on the left side and follow Steps 1 to 3 again.
Uploading videos to Dropbox
- In your CUNY Dropbox, click on "All files" located on the left-hand side.
- If you are uploading videos without folders, follow Step 3. Otherwise, click on " > " symbol next to "All files" and click on the folder where the videos will be placed.
- Click "Upload" then "Files", select the video file, and click the Open button.
A small progress bar will appear on the bottom of the page. Please note, it takes longer if the video files are large.
The video folder has been uploaded to Dropbox.
Sharing video, disabling downloading, and adding a link to Blackboard
When sharing a video from Dropbox, anyone who has the link can see the video without signing in. You can also add the link by inserting it to the content editor such blog, journal, discussion board, and assignments.
Creating a Share video link
- In your CUNY Dropbox, click on "All files" located on the left-hand side and find the video you wish to share.
- Hover your cursor to the video and click the "Share" button.
- A pop-up box appears. If you add classmates with their email or CUNYFirst credentials, they need to log in to Dropbox to view and in that case, they will be able to download the video. Click the “Copy link” button at the bottom left.
Your shared link will be located on the bottom of the Dropbox screen. Dropbox will automatically copy the link for you to share in different medias such as blogs, posts and more.
- To disable users from downloading the video, press "Settings".
- For “Who has access,” choose “Anyone with link” or “People with password” and fill in a password. If you require a password, make sure to provide the password to anyone who would view your video.
- Turn “Disable downloads” ON to prevent people from downloading the video and click "Save".
- Press "Copy link".
- Copy Link Shortcut: In Dropbox, hover the mouse to the video you would like to share and click the "Copy link" button. It will automatically copy to be pasted.
- Optionally, use bit.ly to create a shorter web-link for link sharing.
The link is copied and ready to be pasted in an email or Blackboard via content editor.
Adding annotations using comments
Viewers will see your video and will not download the video. In this case, they cannot comment on the video. On the other hand, you can comment on your video at different time points like doing annotations or timestamps. People with the share link will view them by clicking on the Comment icon.
Pasting video shared link to Blackboard content editor
This option enables you to share your video in a discussion forum, blog, assignment, or anywhere in Bb where there is a content editor.
- Go to the Blackboard course where you want the video to be displayed using the content editor also known as text box.
- In your context editor, provide a Title.
- In the text box, write and highlight the name and click on the Link icon
- A pop-up box will appear. Paste the URL link in the URL box. Click the drop-down box for Target, choose "Open in a new window." In the Title text box, fill in appropriate Title for your video. This is required for accessibility. Last, click "Insert."
- Add instructions if necessary. Click "Submit" to save and post the link. Your video link has been added
Yay, you successful added the shared video link from Dropbox to Blackboard!