- CLIP employs a content-based approach to teach academic English, with students learning the language by studying a broad range of topics and themes typically covered in college classes.
- The development of important academic skills is emphasized, including writing, reading, grammar, listening, note-taking and public speaking.
- In addition to language development, the program emphasizes the development of research skills, study skills, critical thinking skills, and additional communication strategies.
- Computer use is an integral part of the program. Students are introduced to and helped to feel confident with the latest use of computers in education.
- The program offers the opportunity for students to become socially aware of issues of local, national, and world interest, and for students to appreciate the values and contributions of different cultures.
- The program strives to create a supportive learning community with an environment of open communication amongst students, instructors, and staff.
- The program provides students who are entering college with the necessary information and support to make the transition as smooth and efficient as possible.