International Students

International Students

Information we request a international student as a taxpayer submit to VITA

who we can help:

  • International students with F-1 or J-1 visas who lived in NY State in 2011

What forms we can help you with:

  • Form 8843. Even if you had no income during 2011, you need to file this form.
  • Form 1040NR-EZ Federal return: You need to file this form if you had income from U.S. sources (like wages from an on-campus job).
  • Form 843 & Form 8316: If your employer withheld Social Security & Medicare taxes you can get a refund for those amounts.
  • Form IT-203 New York State return: You need to file this if you filed Form 1040NR-EZ.

If you know you need to file other forms, chances are we will not be able to help you as our service is limited to basic international returns.

What to bring:

  • Required: Passport
  • a copy of last year's returns if possible for the preparer's reference
  • W-2, 1099, 1098 and all other forms that you received for 2011
  • Bank account number & routing number if you would like to get your refund deposited directly into your account Bank account number & routing number directly deposited into your checking or savings account
  • Know how many days you have spent in the U.S. in 2009, 2010 and 2011
  • If you traveled outside the U.S. in 2011, know the dates you left & came back