Broccoli with Asian Style Tofu
Tofu is a highly nutritious, protein-rich food that is made from curds of soybean milk. Regular intake of soy protein can help to lower total cholesterol levels as much as 30%, and lower LDL (bad cholesterol) as much as 35-40%.
Total cooking time: 20 minutes.
- Ingredients 1 pkg (16 oz) firm tofu, drained
- 2 Tbsp lite soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil (optional)
- ½ Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger root finely chopped or shredded (or 1 tsp ground ginger)
- 1 lb fresh broccoli, rinsed and cut into individual spears
- 1 Tbsp peanut oil or vegetable oil
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper
- 4 Tbsp garlic, peeled and thinly sliced (about 8 cloves)
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds (optional)
- Cooking spray
- Cut 1 slice tofu into eight pieces.
- Place on a plate or flat surface covered with three paper towels.
- Top with four more paper towels.
- Top with another flat plate or cutting board.
- Press down evenly and gently squeeze out moisture.
- Throw away paper towels.
- Replace with fresh paper towels and press again.
- Place tofu in a bowl just big enough to hold all eight pieces lying on their widest side without overlapping.
- In a small bowl, stir to thoroughly combine soy sauce, sesame oil, brown sugar, and ginger into a marinade, and stir thoroughly.
- Pour over tofu.
- Carefully turn the tofu several times to coat well.
- Heat a large nonstick sauté pan coated with cooking spray.
- Add broccoli and sauté for about 5 minutes,
- Until it turns bright green and become tender and crispy.
- Remove broccoli from pan and set aside.
- Heat a grill pan or flat sauté pan over high heat.
- Drain tofu, reserving marinade.
- Place on grill pan to heat for about 3 minutes.
- Gently turn. Heat the second side for 3 minutes.
- Warm the peanut oil in a medium-heat.
- Crushed red pepper, and garlic until the garlic softens and begins to turn brown, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add broccoli and reserved marinade, and gently mix until well-coated.
- Place two slices of tofu on each plate with one-quarter of the broccoli and marinade mixture.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds (optional).
Tip: Delicious served on top of brown rice or Asian-style noodles
Nutrition Facts of Tofu
Total calories (183) Total fat (11 g) Saturated fat (2 g) Cholesterol (0 mg) Sodium (341 mg) Total fiber (4 g) Protein (14 g) Carb (13 g) Potassium (556 mg)