Office Location: AC-3G02B
|Monday-Friday||9:00 am-5:00 pm|
|M Ed||Queen's University||Assessment and Evaluation (ESL)||2002-2004|
|BA||Henan University||English Literature||1994-1998|
Areas of Expertise
- Cataloging and classification
Metadata and digitization
Information literacy pedagogy
Articles in Field Of Expertise
16. Diao, J. (2021). "A preliminary investigation of technical services librarians’ contributions to library guides in academic libraries." Technical Services Quarterly. 38(3) Accepted and forthcoming: .
15. Diao, J. (2021). "A lexical and syntactic study of research article titles in Library Science and Scientometrics." Scientometrics. Accepted and forthcoming: .
14. Diao, J., Tzanova, S., & Bishop, A. D. (2021). "Wikipedia and Scholarpedia: A comparative case study and its implications to information literacy." Codex: The Journal of the Louisiana Chapter of the ACRL. 6(1) : 5-31. http://journal.acrlla.org/index.php/codex. peer-reviewed.
13. Diao, J.(2020). "The concept, design, implementation, and assessment of Case-Based Learning in an information literacy classroom." International Journal of Librarianship. 5(1) : 108-127. doi.org/10.23974/ijol.2020.vol5.1.156. peer-reviewed.
12. Diao, J (2020). "Are we represented as who we are? An assessment of library faculty online profiles within The City University of New York." Journal of Academic Librarianship. 46(2) : doi.org/10.1016/j.acalib.2020.102128. peer-reviewed.
11. Diao, J. (2019). "Wikipedia, socialpedia, and randompedia: How could one play by the rules when there aren’t any?." Journal of New Librarianship. 4(1) : 149-155. doi.org/10.21173/newlibs/6/10. creative writing.
10. Diao, J. (2019). "In search of China’s first library: Materials, housing and arrangement." Library & Information History. 35(1) : 21-39. doi.org/10.1080/17583489.2019.1589726. peer-reviewed.
9. Diao, J. (2018). "Evolution of Western library catalogs: The rising expectation of users." International Journal of Librarianship. 3(1) : 78-93. doi.org/10.23974/ijol.2018.vol3.1.69. peer-reviewed.
8. Diao, J. (2018). "Conceptualizations of catalogers’ judgment through content analysis: A preliminary investigation." Cataloging & Classification Quarterly. 56(4) : 298-316. doi.org/10.1080/01639374.2017.1393782. peer-reviewed.
7. Diao, J. (2018). "Cataloging backlogs: Perennials, seaweeds, or others?." College & Research Libraries News. 79(3) : 142-143. doi.org/10.5860/crln.79.3.142. creative writing.
6. Diao, J. (2017). "Inukshuks: A librarian’s narrative." College & Research Libraries News. 78(2) : 93-95. doi.org/10.5860/crln.78.2.9623. creative writing.
5. Diao, J. (2017). "The absence of public libraries in Imperial China: An alternative interpretation of Chinese writing." Library & Information History. 33(3) : 195-214. doi.org/10.1080/17583489.2017.1334910. peer-reviewed.
4. Diao, J. & Cao, H. (2016). "Chronology in cataloging Chinese archaeology reports and related materials: An investigation of cultural bias in the Library of Congress Classification." Cataloging & Classification Quarterly. 54(4) : 244-262. doi.org/10.1080/01639374.2016.1150931. peer-reviewed.
3. Diao, J. (2015). ""Fu hao", "fu hao", "fuHao", or "fu Hao"? A cataloger's navigation of an ancient Chinese woman's name." Cataloging & Classification Quarterly. 53(1) : 71-87. doi.org/10.1080/01639374.2014.935543. peer-reviewed.
2. Diao, J. & Mirtha, M.A (2014). "Transferring cataloging legacies into descriptive metadata creation in digital projects: Catalogers' perspective." Journal of Library Metadata. 14(2) : 130-145. doi.org/10.1080/19386389.2014.909670. peer-reviewed.
1. Diao, J. (2013). "Passion of a young cataloger." Technicalities. 33(4) 2013: 17-19. creative writing.
Chapters in Field Of Expertise
Diao, J. (2021). "Chapter 6. The influence of China/Asia on the West." Libraries, Archives, and Museums: An Introduction to Cultural Heritage Institutions through the Ages. : (Forthcoming).
Diao, J. & Li, Y. (2015). "Romanization and transliteration." Guidelines and Procedures for the Shared Bibliographic Catalog. : 7-8.
Presented Papers, Lectures, and Exhibitions and Performances
" What does a cataloger do in an information literacy classroom? Frog, jump and robot " May 6th, 2021: LACUNY Institute 2021 Conference.
" A quick self-assessment of Case-Based Learning in an information literacy classroom " April 29, 2021: "Reassessment" Spring Fair organized by OLS Assessment Committee.
" APA 7 for students: Basic formats and resources " April 7, 2021: a workshop to York College students in Sociology.
" APA 6 & APA 7: Major Changes " November 17, 2020,: a workshop presented to York College faculty and students in collaboration with Stefka Tzanova and Tokunbo Adeshina.
" Dr. Vincent DiGirolamo's "Making Sense of Newsboys" and Horatio Alger Jr.'s "Luke Walton, Or, The Chicago Newsboy": with an exhibition of books on journalism and faked news " December 19, 2019: in collaboration with Stefka Tzanova.
" WikiProject CUNY: On CUNY librarians’ collaborative projects with Wikipedia. " May 3rd, 2019: panel presentation with Nora Almeida, Jean Amaral, Thomas Cleary, and Megan Wacha; introduction by Ann Matsuuchi, at the LACUNY Institute 2019, Long Island City, NY..
" Power of the brush: An alternative interpretation of Chinese writing. " April 9, 2019: seminar presented to York College graduate students in Honors Program, Jamaica, NY.
" From a practitioner librarian to a practitioner researcher: My personal experience. " December 21, 2018: presented at the LACUNY Junior Faculty & Research Roundtable, New York, NY.
" Wikipedia 101: How to use it in a smart way. " October 24, 31, November 7, 14, 2018: workshops held for York College students in collaboration with CTLET (The Center for Teaching, Learning and Educational Technologies), York College, Jamaica, NY.
" Incorporate Web pictures in information literacy class to motivate students learning : A class lead-in activity. " May 16, 2018: at the METRO Reference and Instruction Meetup Library Lesson Lab, New York, NY.
" A lunch-hour conversation about using Wikipedia for teaching and learning. " December 6, 2017: with William Ashton, Yolanda Small, Margaret Vendryes, Megan Wacha, George White, and Greet Van Belle, York College, CUNY, Jamaica, NY.
" Evolution of Western library’s catalogs. " November 2017: presented at LACUNY Cataloging Roundtable, Baruch College, New York, NY.
" Milestones of libraries’ catalogs: How we get here and where we are heading. " April, 2017: in Junli Diao, Christina Miller, Scott Sheidlower, Todd Simpson, Stefka Tzanova's group presentation Welcome to the York College Library, conducted at the meeting of York College Professor 101, York College, CUNY, Jamaica, NY.
" Building cataloging department Web pages. " May 29-June 1, 2009: poster presentation presented at the Canadian Library Association Conference held in Montreal, Canada..
" A faceted classification for computer software. " June 14-17, 2006: poster presentation presented at the Canadian Library Association Conference held in Ottawa, Canada.
PSC-CUNY Research Award Traditional B, This research project will explore research article titles and keywords by using co-word analysis.. 2021: $5573.60.
PSC-CUNY Research Award Traditional A, Cataloging and Wikipedia. 2019-2020: $3120.00.
LACUNY Professional Development Committee, LACUNY PDC Travel Grant Award. 2019: $600.00.
Other Professional Activities and Public Service
Acted as the peer reviewer for International Journal of Librarianship: December, 2020.
Attended ALA MidWinter 2019 Conference at Seattle: January 25-29, 2019.
Participated LGBTQ + Poetry Slam and recited poem "Three Coins in the Fountain: A Personal Version" at York College: November 14, 2019.
Attended LACUNY Junior Faculty Research Roundtable Spring 2018 event "Taming the Wild & Unruly Writing Process: Strategies and Tips for Academic Librarians": April 27, 2018.
Attended ACRL/NY Program "Enhancing Impact of Library Instruction on Student Learning and Success" at Mercy College: March 15, 2018.
Participated the preparation for CTLET (The Center for Teaching, Learning and Educational Technologies )’s Black History Month Wikipedia Edit-A-Thon: September 2017.
Attended "Shut Up & Write! + Discussion and Networking" at the Graduate Center: May 31, 2017.
Attended"LACUNY Emerging Technologies Committee: Text Analysis Workshop" at John Jay College: November 16, 2016.
Attended "LACUNY Reference Roundtable: OneSearch, many systems" at the Graduate Center: May 5th, 2017.
Attended "LACUNY Instruction Group Fall Roundtable on Embedded Librarianship" at the Graduate School of Journalism: September 23rd, 2016.
Attended ALA 2016 Conference at Orlando: June 24-27, 2016.