Mission and Goals
Mission and Goalsfor the Speech Communication and Theatre ArtsBA program at York College.
- Demonstrate graduate entry level proficiency in one or more technical and/or physical aspects of the theater and speech communication including, but not limited to, acting, directing, design (sets, lighting, costumes, sound, scenic painting, props), and stage management and/or research, organization, and presentation of material as producers and consumers of speech and communication.
- Integrate creative conception and execution with modern cultural relevancies and/or the historical foundations of theatre and/or speech and rhetoric including major authors, periods, movements, key historical concepts, theories, and applications.
- Lead in the creation of a theatrical presentation and/or communication projects which demonstrate professional standards, judgments, ethics, discipline, and an appreciation for the production necessities, responsibilities, and collaborative nature of theatre and/or the intrinsic practices and productions of speech communication scholarship.
- Employ graduate level critical writing and/or listening skills of creative work, theatre history, literature and/or speech and communicative texts and presentations with the creation of logical argument, well-founded ethical research, and/or judicious and insightful criticism.
- Develop an evocative, creative career-driven purpose and/or professional goals by establishing a relation between one’s artistic creativity or managerial skills and/or speech and communication research, expression, and analysis with meaningful interdisciplinary study, societal application and community outreach, ethical awareness, and/or business studies, economics, or scientific inquiry, befitting the breadth of career possibilities within the communication field and the understanding and motivation of a global citizen.