- Music (Bachelor of Arts)
- Minor in Music Performance
- Minor in Music Production
The senior recital is the crowning project of the music major at York College. Graduating seniors direct an evening of music at the Milton G. Bassin Performing Arts Center. The recital is designed to be a showcase of the student's talent and expertise. In addition, the senior recital provides the student with real world experiences in leadership and project management. The student is also responsible for promoting the event to ensure a sizable audience and to document the event for self promotion and to add to their portfolio of accomplishments.
Community Jam Session
The York College Community Jam Session is a weekly event that takes place most Tuesdays at noon to 2 p.m. in Academic Core LL01. All musicians on any instrument or from any background or of any level are invited to jam with one another. This is a chance to share music and network with other musicians within the greater York College community. The intent is to provide a welcoming space for musicians on campus to learn and grow with one another in an inclusive environment. The repertoire performed is chosen by the musicians at the time of the session. The door is open!
National Association for Music Education (NAFME)
- President: Daijha Rabalais
- Vice President: Ariana Thom
- Faculty Advisor: Mark Adams
The National Association for Music Education is the only professional association that addresses all aspects of music education. More than 65,000 active, retired, and collegiate members represent all teaching levels from kindergarten through college. Through its many programs, initiatives, and resources, NAfME works to promote the importance of music education, foster the best possible school music programs across the nation, and advance music education as a profession. The York College collegiate chapter of NAfME brings awareness to music education by hosting events, lectures, producing music performances, and to assist music students with tutoring services.
Dennis Moorman Scholarship
The Dennis Moorman Scholarship was established in memory of Dr. Dennis Moorman, Professor of Music at York College. This scholarship provides talented and deserving students with the opportunity to pursue a music education with emphasis in Jazz.
- Must major in Music
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 or higher at the time of application
- Preferably lives in the Tri-State area
- Must be a Lower Junior to Lower Senior
- Able to read music, sing or play an instrument with an emphasis in Jazz
How to apply:
- Head to the York College Scholarship Center to submit your application.
- Submit your essay as part of the application (Essay topic: Why Did You Decide to Major in Music?)
- Include two letters of recommendation from faculty members (one letter must be from a York College Department of Performing & Fine Arts faculty member.)
- Provide documentation of student eligibility.
York College Music Alumni Network
In order to be a continued resource for music students after they have graduated, the York College Music Alumni Network is open to all York College Alumni who were either music majors, music minors, or simply students interested in music. The purpose of the resource is help maintain relationships between alumni that could possibly grow into new opportunities for people who share a history with York College.
Featured Music Alumni
- Kunal Singh ’13 (saxophone/keyboards/educator)
- Angel Rodriguez ’14 (keyboards/guitar/educator)
- Sam Yum ’15 (bassist)
- Marc Reddick ’16 (keyboards/voice/music director)
- Bayo Fayemi ’17 (guitar/bandleader)
- Joe Ferrari ’17 (saxophone/music production/retired educator)
- Mark Fiorentino ’17 (keyboards/music therapist)
- Kemba Lodescar ’17 (vocalist/educator)
- Sandra Billingslea, adjunct lecturer
- Ji Yeon Lee, adjunct lecturer
- Jarrod Ratcliffe, adjunct lecturer
- Jonathan Quash, adjunct lecturer