Petrie Fund Application
The York College’s Carroll and Milton Petrie Student Emergency Fund seeks to assist eligible students coping with an unexpected hardship, so that they may continue their education at York College and become financially aware and responsible for their continued education.
This program’s long-range goal is to ensure that enrolled students who encounter temporary financial hardship, be granted financial assistance, and as a result, assist York College students’ retention and graduation rates. The York College Foundation is the distributor of this grant from The Carroll and Milton Petrie Foundation and the co-sponsor of this fund is in collaboration with the Division of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management.
The Maximum Award is $2,000
Below are some examples of eligible emergencies and expenses:
- Imminent documented eviction
- Homelessness due to loss of housing (for self and family dependents)
- Fire or other natural disasters in living quarters
- Assistance in paying for food, transportation, and basic necessities due to recent unemployment
- Overdue utility bills and shut-off notices
- Medical and dental bills for uninsured necessary procedures
- A documented theft of computer, books, clothing, or other essential belongings
- Travel home for illness or death in the immediate family
Personal debts (including credit cards and loans), Previous college tuition debt/expenses, Current full or partial tuition costs, Legal representation in a criminal proceeding, or York College/CUNY disciplinary proceedings. This is not a complete listing.
Eligibility Requirements for The Petrie Emergency Grant:
- Students must be registered at CUNY York College for the current semester
- Students must be matriculated (pursuing a degree) with a GPA minimum of 2.0 ( Freshmen and
- transfer students will also be considered).
- Students must have a record of good conduct
- Students must have a current emergency need
- Students must demonstrate an ability and intention to complete their course of study
- The student will be notified of the committee's decision via e-mail. Should you have questions about your application, contact us via e-mail.
Important: Your Petrie Emergency Grant application must be complete in order to be given consideration. The application is not a guarantee that you will be awarded funds.