This program’s long-range goal is to ensure that enrolled students who encounter temporary financial hardship, be granted financial assistance, and as a result, assist York College students’ retention and graduation rates. The York College Foundation is the distributor of this grant from The Carroll and Milton Petrie Foundation and the co-sponsor of this fund is in collaboration with the Division of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management.
The Maximum Award is $2,000
Below are some examples of eligible emergencies and expenses:
- Imminent documented eviction
- Homelessness due to loss of housing (for self and family dependents)
- Fire or other natural disasters in living quarters
- Assistance in paying for food, transportation, and basic necessities due to recent unemployment
- Overdue utility bills and shut-off notices
- Medical and dental bills for uninsured necessary procedures
- A documented theft of computer, books, clothing, or other essential belongings
- Travel home for illness or death in the immediate family
Personal debts (including credit cards and loans), Previous college tuition debt/expenses, Current full or partial tuition costs, Legal representation in a criminal proceeding, or York College/CUNY disciplinary proceedings. This is not a complete listing.
The student will be notified of the committee's decision via e-mail. Should you have questions about your application, contact us via e-mail.
Important: Your Petrie Emergency Grant application must be complete in order to be given consideration. The application is not a guarantee that you will be awarded funds.