How We Work
- Listen carefully to students' concerns and ask clarifying questions.
- Help students define the problem and identify and evaluate possible options for a solution.
- Gather relevant facts and objectively review situations presented by students.
- Understand the goals and outcomes students may be seeking.
- Provide advice on accessing the appropriate decision makers.
- Refer students to relevant York College or community resources.
- Educate students on York College policies, procedures, and practices applicable to their situation.
- Suggest approaches for managing conflict including informal and formal methods of dispute resolution.
- Offer students assistance in creating a plan of action.
- Guide students in the preparation of an articulate and informative case.
- Make inquiries, collaborate, and initiate problem-solving discussions with others.
- Examine all the relevant evidence and initiate a discussion with other responsible individuals with the student's permission. (For example, the Registrar, an Instructor, or Chair).
- Facilitate effective communication and act intermediary when necessary.
General learning environment questions and concerns
**Sources: Many thanks to Camosun College and Lakehead University Office of the Ombudsman.