- York College Child and Family Center
94-12 160th Street,
Jamaica, NY 11451
On the site of the former St. Monica's church
York College Child and Family Center
Located in a new building on the former St. Monica's Catholic Church site. The center has eight classrooms, a Parent/Staff Resource Room, a food preparation area and offices. The program has been designed to meet the needs of student/ parents by providing affordable, flexible childcare. In the future parents will be able to enroll their children in different components of the program:
Children will be assigned to classrooms by age and developmental level. The center is licensed by the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.
- Flexible Scheduling will be offered to student parents using their class schedules as a basis for their child's enrollment. With flexible scheduling student parents only register their child/ children for the days and hours they need for class, work study, fieldwork or for studying.
- Professional Staff consists of certified teachers, assistant teachers, and aides. The center will offer an early childhood education program in a homelike, multicultural environment. Teachers will plan developmentally appropriate activities, that will stimulate the intellectual and creative abilities of each individual child while enhancing other developmental skills.
- Support for Student Parents A parent/staff resource room has been incorporated, to provide a lending library, a lounge area, a work area with one computer and space for meetings. Parents will be able to borrow children's books from the lending library, sit for few minutes in the lounge area before picking up their child or attending classes. Small workshop or presentations on specific topics related to parenting, careers or academics will be held in the Resource Room.
- A Resource for the College Community: The Child and Family Center will become an integral part of the academic community by serving as a work study, fieldwork and observation site for interns from various academic departments.
- Enrollment in the center is only available for children of York College students.
- Children are registered in accordance with parents class schedule. The center does not provide drop-in or babysitting services.
- Enrollment will be limited and based on a first come first served basis.
- The center will follow the York College calendar during the spring and fall semester the center will operate Monday through Friday from 8 am to 5 pm.