- York College Child and Family Center
94-12 160th Street,
Jamaica, NY 11451
On the site of the former St. Monica's church
York College Child and Family Center
The mission of York College Child and Family Center is to foster an engaging and effective environment that respects and values the whole child enabling them to become lifelong, engaged learners.
The Child Care Centers goal is to be an integral component of, and responsible for access, retention, and graduation at the college. The implementation of a quality program including the Department of Educations UPK (Universal Pre Kindergarten) program allows the center to continue to be supportive on the behalf of student-families. The inclusion of child care to Faculty/Staff also allows for cohesion in providing services to the campus community.
Our Services Includes
- Flexible Scheduling will be offered to student parents using their class schedules as a basis for their child's enrollment. With flexible scheduling student parents only register their child/ children for the days and hours they need for class, work study, fieldwork or for studying.
- Professional Staff consists of certified teachers, assistant teachers, and aides. The center will offer an early childhood education program in a homelike, multicultural environment. Teachers will plan developmentally appropriate activities, that will stimulate the intellectual and creative abilities of each individual child while enhancing other developmental skills.
- Support for Student Parents A parent/staff resource room has been incorporated, to provide a lending library, a lounge area, a work area with one computer and space for meetings. Parents will be able to borrow children's books from the lending library, sit for a few minutes in the lounge area before picking up their child or attending classes. Small workshop or presentations on specific topics related to parenting, careers or academics will be held in the Resource Room.
- A Resource for the College Community: The Child and Family Center will become an integral part of the academic community by serving as a work-study, fieldwork and observation site for interns from various academic departments.
- Enrollment in the center is only available for children of York College students.
- Children are registered in accordance with the parents class schedule. The center does not provide drop-in or babysitting services.
- Enrollment will be limited and based on a first come first served basis.
- The center will follow the York College calendar during the spring and fall semester the center will operate Monday through Friday from 8 am to 5 pm.