Tuition and Fees
All MSW Scholars are enrolled in a full-time program. The MSW Program at CUNY York College does not currently offer a part-time program. MSW Scholars required to attend classes 2 (two) evenings and Saturdays (fall 2019 & fall 2020). Additionally, 2-3 days are required for field placement. *course work and field placement may be attended on the same day.
General Admission Requirements for MSW Program
Eligible candidates must meet below criteria for admission to the MSW Program at CUNY York College:
- Submit an application to the program, including a personal statement related to the MSW scholar's career goals, current comprehensive resume or curriculum vitae (please do not include personal references).
- Official transcripts;
- Hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university. If BSW/BSSW, must be from CSWE accredited program.
- A satisfactory scholastic average; must have attained an overall grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher;
- A group interview will be required; and
- Must provide three letters of recommendation from instructors or employers addressing the applicant's suitability for the social work profession and preparedness to enter a rigorous academic program;
- All required coursework for the undergraduate degree must receive a final grade of B or higher.
Advanced Standing Admission Requirements
In addition to general admission requirements, advanced standing applicants must:
- Have completed a bachelor's degree in social work from a CSWE accredited program within the last five years.
- Have attained an overall grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher and GPA of 3.2 in the social work major.
- Submit an undergraduate field placement evaluation (advanced standing applicants only).
NE: Advanced standing is awarded only to graduates holding degrees from baccalaureate social work programs accredited by CSWE, recognized through its International Social Work Degree Recognition and Evaluation Services*, or covered under a memorandum of understanding with international social work accreditors.
This and all future references to degrees from social work programs accredited by CSWE, include degrees from CSWE-accredited programs or recognized through CSWE's International Social Work Degree Recognition and Evaluation Service, or covered under a memorandum of understanding with international social work accrediting body.
York College of The City University of New York (CUNY) does not require a graduate entrance exam such as Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) for admissions to the MSW Program at CUNY York College.
International Degree Equivalency
Potential MSW scholars with international baccalaureate degrees need to be reviewed for degree equivalency by
The SocialWorkCAS Transcript Processing Center Address:
SocialWorkCAS Transcript Processing Center
P.O. Box 9212
Watertown, MA 02471
The transcript verification process can take up to 4 weeks during peak periods. Please plan accordingly.
Individuals applying for graduation from the MSW Program at CUNY York College must meet all requirements for the degree at York College of the City University of New York as defined by the most current Graduate Bulletin in effect at the time of admission to the program. The current structure of the program is geared toward professional programs.
Instructions for Applying to the MSW Program
It is very important to thoroughly review all sections of the MSW Program at CUNY York College webpage prior to completing the application.
- The MSW Program at CUNY York College application will be considered "complete" once the above materials have been received by the MSW Program at CUNY York College.
- Incomplete applications will not move forward in the application review process.
- $75.00 Non-Refundable Application Fee (U.S. dollars) must be paid before the application is considered complete. Please note: Most of our materials reference our current fee structure ($75). The new fee structure will change to $50/35 for the 2019-2020 cycle.
- Do not use MSW@york.cuny.edu email address to submit MSW application or materials.
Deadline for Fall 2020 - Now Closed
Applications for fall 2020 semester is under construction for the MSW Program at CUNY York College.
Fall 2019-2020 Timeline
- Aug 30, 2019: Application portal open
- Feb 1, 2020: If you wish to be considered for fall 2020, please apply by the deadline.
- Starting April 2020: Fall 2020 applicants will be notified of decisions, via email and in writing (U.S. Postal Services).
- May 11, 2020: Applicants pay a commitment fee to secure a seat for fall 2020.
- May 15, 2020: Waitlist applicants are notified as space becomes available for fall 2020.
Questions? Please attend one of our information sessions. Please visit our MSW Information Session (this website) for upcoming dates. You are also welcome to contact the MSW Program at CUNY York College at (718) 262-2606/7 or email: MSW@york.cuny.edu
We are a competitive program!
The MSW Program at CUNY York College is participating in the Social Work Centralized Application Service (SocialWorkCAS) in the 202 application cycle. Applicants applying to our master’s-level program will apply online using the SocialWorkCAS application beginning on August 30, 2019. Please click "Apply Now" to be taken to the SocialWorkCAS application link.