MSW Admissions Criteria
All MSW Scholars are enrolled in a full-time program. The MSW Program at CUNY York College does not currently offer a part-time program. MSW Scholars are required to attend classes 2 (two) evenings and Saturdays (fall 2019 & fall 2020). Additionally, 2-3 days are required for field placement. *course work and field placement may be attended on the same day. In-person courses are scheduled in the evenings to make it possible for you to maintain your current employment.
Start Term: Fall
Campus Options: In person only
Format: Full-time (evenings and weekends)
Important Consideration: Plan for balancing full-time MSW Program (including course work, field placement hours, and other program requirements) with any additional personal or professional commitments and responsibilities.
** The MSW Program at CUNY York College does not award academic credit for life experience or previous work experience. The program admits only those scholars who have met the program’s specified criteria.
General Admission Requirements for MSW Program
Eligible candidates must meet below criteria for admission to the MSW Program at CUNY York College:
- Applicants must demonstrate promise as a masters-level social work scholar and show readiness to take on graduate education;
- Submit an application to the program, including a personal statement related to the MSW scholar's career goals, current comprehensive resume or curriculum vitae, and official transcripts;
- Hold an earned bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university. If BSW/BSSW, must be from a CSWE accredited program.
- A satisfactory scholastic average; must have attained an overall grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher;
- A group interview will be required; and
- Must provide three letters of recommendation from instructors or employers (please do not include personal references) addressing the applicant's suitability for the social work profession and preparedness to enter a rigorous academic program;
- All required social work coursework for the undergraduate degree must receive a final grade of B or higher.
Advanced Standing Admission Requirements
In addition to general admission requirements, advanced standing applicants must:
- Have completed a bachelor's degree in social work from a CSWE accredited program within the last five years.
- Have attained an overall grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher and GPA of 3.2 in the social work major.
- Submit a final evaluation from the senior undergraduate field placement evaluation (advanced standing applicants only).
Advanced Standing applicants are required to obtain the final evaluation from their senior field placement. Undergraduate field placement evaluation (advanced standing applicants only).
NE: Advanced standing is awarded only to graduates holding degrees from baccalaureate social work programs accredited by CSWE, recognized through it's International Social Work Degree Recognition and Evaluation Services*, or covered under a memorandum of understanding with international social work accreditors.
This and all future references to degrees from social work programs accredited by CSWE, include degrees from CSWE-accredited programs or recognized through CSWE's International Social Work Degree Recognition and Evaluation Service, or covered under a memorandum of understanding with international social work accrediting body.
York College of The City University of New York (CUNY) does not require a graduate entrance exam such as Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) for admissions to the MSW Program at CUNY York College.
Additional requirements for international applicants
TOEFL: For applicants whose native language is not English, the TOEFL is required with a minimum score of 61 on the (Internet Based TOEFL (IBT). These scores should be sent to the SocialWorkCAS using the SocialWorkCAS TOEFL code of 2992
For International Scholars - Submit official test scores to CUNY York College - University Code: 2992
A WES evaluation (www.wes.org) is required for applicants who completed their degree outside of the United States. This can be requested and submitted through SocialWorkCAS
Individuals applying for graduation from the MSW Program at CUNY York College must meet all requirements for the degree at York College of the City University of New York as defined by the most current Graduate Bulletin in effect at the time of admission to the program. The current structure of the program is geared toward professional programs.
Instructions for Applying to the MSW Program
It is very important to thoroughly review all sections of the MSW Program at CUNY York College webpage prior to completing the application.
- As part of the application process, an interview is required.
- $75.00 Non-Refundable Application Fee (U.S. dollars) must be paid to York College as well as a SocialWorkCAS application fee of $50 before the application is considered complete.
- Do not use MSW@york.cuny.edu email address to submit MSW applications or materials.
Deadline for Fall 2020 - Now Closed
Fall 2019-2020 Timeline
- Aug 30, 2019: Application portal opens
- Feb 15, 2020: If you wish to be considered for fall 2020, please apply by the deadline.
- Mar 1, 2020 thru Mar 30, 2020: Interviews conducted with applicants moving forward in the application process.
- Starting April 2020: Fall 2020 applicants will be notified of decisions, via email and in writing (U.S. Postal Services).
- May 11, 2020: Applicants pay a commitment fee to secure a seat for fall 2020.
- May 15, 2020: Waitlist applicants are notified as space becomes available for fall 2020.
Questions? Please attend one of our information sessions. Please visit our MSW Information Session (this website) for upcoming dates. You are also welcome to contact the MSW Program at CUNY York College at (718) 262-2607 or email: MSW@york.cuny.edu
We are a competitive program!
The MSW Program at CUNY York College is participating in the Social Work Centralized Application Service (SocialWorkCAS) in the 2020 application cycle. Applicants applying to our masters-level program will apply online using the SocialWorkCAS application beginning on August 30, 2019. Please click "Apply Now" to be taken to the SocialWorkCAS application link.