MSW Admissions Criteria
All MSW Scholars are required to attend classes 2 (two) evenings and Saturdays (fall 2018). Additionally, 2-3 days are required for field placement. *course work and field placement may be attended on the same day.
General Admission Requirements for MSW Program
Eligible candidates must meet below criteria for admission to the MSW Program at CUNY York College:
- Submit an application to the program, including a personal statement related to the MSW scholar's career goals, current comprehensive resume or curriculum vitae (please do not include personal references).
- Official transcripts;
- Hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university;
- Have attained an overall grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher;
- A group interview will be required; and
- Must provide three letters of recommendation from instructors or employers addressing the applicant's suitability for the social work profession and preparedness to enter a rigorous academic program;
- All required coursework for the degree must receive a final grade of B or higher.
Advanced Standing Admission Requirements
In addition to general admission requirements, advanced standing applicants must:
- Have completed a bachelor's degree in social work from a CSWE accredited program within the last five years.
- Have attained a GPA of 3.2 in the social work major.
- Submit undergraduate field placement evaluation (advanced standing applicants only).
NE: Advanced standing is awarded only to graduates holding degrees from baccalaureate social work programs accredited by CSWE, recognized through its International Social Work Degree Recognition and Evaluation Services*, or covered under a memorandum of understanding with international social work accreditors.
This and all future references to degrees from social work programs accredited by CSWE, include degrees from CSWE-accredited programs or recognized through CSWE's International Social Work Degree Recognition and Evaluation Service, or covered under a memorandum of understanding with international social work accrediting body.
York College of The City University of New York (CUNY) does not require a graduate entrance exam such as Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) for admissions to the M.S.W. Program at CUNY York College.
International Degree Equivalency
Potential MSW scholars with international baccalaureate degrees, need to be reviewed for degree equivalency by the International Social Work Degree Recognition and Evaluation Service (ISWDRES). For details and fees, please visit:
NE: Each applicant is entitled to two original Determination Letters (included in the Recognition Application fee).
One letter to be mailed to the second / other address. Under step 2, in the Recognition Application Form online must indicate the second address here:
Formal Determination Letters: Send One to Other Address
Other Address Name: Office of Admissions
Other Address: York College, CUNY, Admissions Office (Room 1B07), 94-20 Guy R. Brewer Blvd Jamaica, NY 11451
Individuals applying for graduation from the M.S.W. Program at CUNY York College must meet all requirements for degree at York College of the City University of New York as defined by the most current Graduate Bulletin in effect at time of admission to the program. The current structure of the program is geared towards professional programs.
Instructions for Applying to the M.S.W. Program
It is very important to thoroughly review all sections of the M.S.W Program at CUNY York College webpage prior to completing the application.
- The M.S.W. Program at CUNY York College application will be considered "complete" once the above materials have been received by the Office of Admissions.
- Incomplete applications will not move forward in the application review process.
- $125.00 Non-Refundable Application Fee (U.S. dollars) must be paid before application is considered complete.
- If materials have been submitted via email, do not send duplicate hard copies. You will receive email confirmation.
- Do not use MSW@york.cuny.edu email address to submit MSW application or materials.
- Completed applications must be submitted by email to AdmissionsSW@york.cuny.edu.
Deadline for Fall 2018
Applications are being accepted for the M.S.W. Program at CUNY York College.
If you wish to be considered, please apply by: April 1, 2018.
Applicants will be notified, via email and in writing, of the decision: Starting mid-May 2018.
Questions? Contact the M.S.W. Program at CUNY York College at (718) 262-262-2606/7 or email: MSW@york.cuny.edu
We are a competitive program!
Click "Apply Now" and scroll down to the PDF fillable format application.