School of Arts and Sciences
Welcome to the School or Arts and Sciences!
Through its academic departments, centers and unique programs, the School of Arts and Sciences offers undergraduate degrees in the arts, humanities, mathematics and sciences. We offer courses in the traditional liberal arts and sciences disciplines, and in selected pre- and professional programs.
Courses and programs in the School are designed to provide a challenging education with state-of-the-art classroom and laboratory work, together with vital internship and research experiences. Students are instructed and mentored by exceptional teacher-scholars to develop and broaden critical thinking, effective oral and written communication, problem-solving, ethical decision-making, and information technology skills that are the requisite foundation of their success in a changing global environment. The School is constantly introducing new courses, new programs and new technologies to prepare students for rewarding careers and personal accomplishment.
Students in the School of Arts and Sciences are privileged to study with outstanding faculty members, nationally and internationally recognized, who are dedicated teachers committed to innovative approaches to instruction, research and creative work. Students will benefit from a wide-ranging rigorous academic involvement that will prepare them for graduate school or the work place. Their experiences inside and outside of the classroom will enhance their appreciation and understanding of diverse cultures, ready them for meeting their career goals and help them in becoming educated, responsible citizens.
Additionally, the School of Arts and Sciences provides courses to prepare students for admission to professional programs such as dentistry, education, medicine, law, pharmaceutical science, occupational therapy and social work.
The specific aims of the School include:
- To sustain the College mission;
- To support the general education core requirements for students that includes emphasis on writing across the curriculum, quantitative reasoning and literacy, critical thinking and multicultural issues;
- To foster degree programs that serve a diverse student body and community;
- To encourage and to promote research and creative works in the arts and sciences especially in areas consistent with the College mission;
- To provide service to the community, the College and the University through program development and outreach activities.
For more information, explore our website and, of course, come for a visit.
Wishing you the best,
Dr. Donna Chirico
Professor and Dean
- Department of Behavioral Sciences — by Rafael Nunez — last modified Nov 04, 2019
- Our department provides students with a strong academic foundation that will prepare them for the challenges of graduate study and careers.
- Department of Biology — by Rafael Nunez — last modified Sep 18, 2019
- Welcome to the Department of Biology!
- Department of Chemistry — by Rafael Nunez — last modified Oct 17, 2019
- Chemistry (from Egyptian kēme (chem), meaning "earth") is the science concerned with the reactions, transformations and aggregations of matter, as well as accompanying energy and entropy changes during such transformations.
- Department of Earth and Physical Sciences — by Rafael Nunez — last modified Jun 17, 2019
- The Department of Earth and Physical Sciences houses programs in Astronomy (minor), Environmental Health Science, Environmental Science (minor), Earth Science Education, Geology and Physics.
- Department of English — by Rafael Nunez — last modified Nov 08, 2019
- The English Department at York College abhors all expressions of hate and of prejudice, overt or tacit. We affirm our commitment to diversity and to inclusiveness and will continue to work to create safer spaces for our students and for each other. We stand in solidarity with our students.
- Department of History, Philosophy, and Anthropology — by Rafael Nunez — last modified Jun 17, 2019
- The Department of History and Philosophy offers majors in Anthropology, Black Studies, History, Interdisciplinary Studies, and Philosophy. It also houses the Cultural Diversity program.
- Department of Mathematics and Computer Science — by Rafael Nunez — last modified Jul 24, 2019
- The Department of Mathematics and Computer Science offers programs in Mathematics (BA an BS) and Computer Science (BS). The department also offers a minor in mathematics and a minor in computer science.
- Department of Performing and Fine Arts — by Rafael Nunez — last modified Sep 07, 2018
- The Department of Performing and Fine Arts at York College offers degree programs in Studio Art, Art History, Music, Speech Communications / Theatre Arts, and Communications Technology.
- Department of World Languages, Literatures, and Humanities — by Rafael Nunez — last modified Oct 26, 2017
- Through the study of the language, literature, and civilization of various cultures, the Department of World Languages, Literatures, and Humanities aims to enrich the education of all students and prepare them for various careers.