Hot dog poll and activity (2018)
Department of Mathematics
York College (CUNY)
Jamaica, New York 11451
1. The July 4th celebration is coming up soon. How many hot dogs (hamburgers on buns) do you personally expect to eat on July 4th?
2. Estimate how many hot dogs (hamburgers on buns) you eat a year.
How might you model questions of the following type?
1. How many hot dogs (hamburgers on buns) were consumed in NYC on July 4, 2017?
2. How many hot dogs are consumed in the United States on a typical day?
3. What other products that we eat might make for interesting "lessons" for K-12 students? What mathematics can be tied to questions of this kind?
How does one get "reliable" data for the sales in a year of various products Americans consume? (Example: Pounds of raisin bran cereal.)