- What kind of programs do you offer?
We offer two main types of programs. One is USIP Immersion for students who need to be certified in math and English in order to enroll at York College or to achieve placement in a required higher-level math class. The second type of program is SEP which offers preparation workshops before the beginning of each semester for required math, biology and chemistry classes because students often have trouble earning good grades in those classes.
- Do your workshops earn credits or affect GPA or financial aid?
- Is attendance required in your workshops?
- 4. Do I need to be a York College student to take the workshops?
Yes. All students have to be allocated and accepted to York College and register for classes during the regular semester.
- Who is eligible for the workshops?
- Writing workshops (for English proficiency) are for students who do not have a high enough Proficiency Index to be certified proficient in English.
- Math proficiency workshops are for students who do not have a high enough Proficiency Index to be certified proficient in math.
- Pre-Calculus workshops are for students who are certified proficient in math and want to be placed in a higher-level math class required for their majors but have not achieve the required placement level.
- SEP pre-semester preparation workshops in math, biology and chemistry are for students who have enrolled in one of those classes in the fall or spring semester and want to be better prepared to do well in those classes.
- Booster support workshops math, chemistry and English are for students who have enrolled in one of those classes in the fall or spring semester and want to have on-going support for the work done in the credit class each week.
- What happens if I cannot complete or do not pass the workshop?
- If you do not complete and pass the writing workshops and you are not an ESL student, you will not be allowed to enroll at York College
- If you do not complete and pass the elementary algebra workshop and test, you will not be allowed to enroll at York College.
- If you do not complete and score high enough on the Pre-Calculus workshop and test, you will not be able to take Math 120 (Pre-Calculus).
- If you do not complete your SEP math or biology or chemistry preparation workshops, you will not have the additional knowledge and skills to help you do better in your required math or science classes.
- If you do not complete your booster support math, chemistry or English preparation workshops, you will not have the additional knowledge and skills to help you do better in your regular credit class.
- Who teaches these workshops?
All instructors are York College or CUNY professors and they have been approved by York College's academic departments.
- What if I am an ESL student?
ESL students must be advised by the ESL/CLIP director. Based on student level, the director can refer a student to enroll in a workshop in the USIP Immersion Program.
- What if I am a SEEK student?
All SEEK students must be advised by the SEEK department to enroll in a workshop in the USIP Immersion Program.
- How many times am I allowed to take a workshop?
Students are allowed to repeat a workshop. Generally speaking, if workshops are available, students can repeat a workshop three times between April and August, and two times between December and January.
- When and where do I register?
All registration is done online. You need to email us a t firstname.lastname@example.org Generally speaking, registration for spring/summer workshops begins in March and for fall/winter workshops begins in October.
- How do I find out more information?
To get more information, you can contact us at email@example.com