Skip to Main Content
York College Plaza at the New Student Orientation


New Student Frequently Asked Questions

The term “first-year student” is used when referring to students entering college for the first time. The term “first-year” addresses all students with no differentiation between gender, age, or working status.



Financial Aid

FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)

When do I fill out the FAFSA?
When do I fill out the FAFSA?

For the 2019-2020 year, you can apply between Oct. 1, 2018 and June 30, 2020.  For the 2020-2021 year, you will be able to apply between Oct. 1, 2019, and June 30, 2021. However, there are a few federal student aid programs that have limited funds, so be sure to apply as soon as you can once the FAFSA is available for the year you’ll be attending school.

<bound method Image.Title of <Image at /yc1/image-repository/white.gif>>
When does my school have to receive the results from my application?

Your FAFSA information is usually available on your CUNYfirst within a week. If your school has not received your application information electronically, you must check your FAFSA for missing information, for instance, missing signature, incomplete FAFSA or missing federal school code. Once the school receives your information, it will use your EFC to determine the amount of your federal grant, loan, or work-study award, if you are eligible which will be available on your CUNYfirst account.

<bound method Image.Title of <Image at /yc1/image-repository/white.gif>>
How and when do I get an FSA ID?

You can create an FSA ID when logging into certain ED websites, including this one. Create an FSA ID now.

The FSA ID process consists of three main steps:

1. Enter your log-in information.

Provide your e-mail address, a unique username, and password, and verify that you are at least 13 years old.

2. Enter your personal information.

Provide your Social Security number, name, and date of birth.

Include your mailing address, e-mail address, telephone number, and language preference.

For security purposes, provide answers to five challenge questions.

3. Submit your FSA ID information.

Agree to the terms and conditions

Verify your e-mail address. (Note: By verifying your e-mail address, you can use your e-mail address as your username when logging into certain ED websites. This verification also allows you to retrieve your username or reset your password without answering challenge questions.)

<bound method Image.Title of <Image at /yc1/image-repository/white.gif>>
What Information do I need to complete a FAFSA accurately?

Social Security numbers of student and parents’ (parents Social Security numbers are needed for dependent students)

o   W-2 forms and other records of money earned by student and parents, if you are a dependent student

o   Students and parents’ federal income tax returns (parents tax return is needed for dependent students and spouses tax return is needed for independent students)

o   Untaxed income records – Social security, welfare, or veteran benefits for example

o   Current bank statements

o   Current business and investment mortgage information, business and farm records, stock, bond and other investment records

o   Alien registration card, if you’re not a U.S. citizen


<bound method Image.Title of <Image at /yc1/image-repository/white.gif>>
Who qualifies to be counted in the number in college?

Any person (other than your parents) who is counted in the household and will be attending any term of the academic year at least half time. The person must be working toward a degree or certificate leading to a recognized education credential at a postsecondary school eligible to participate in the federal student aid programs. You (the student) need not be enrolled half time to be counted in the number in college.

<bound method Image.Title of <Image at /yc1/image-repository/white.gif>>
How does a family decide who should be counted in the household size?

Anyone in the immediate family who receives more than 50% support from a dependent student’s parents or an independent student and spouse may be counted in the household size. For example, a sibling who is over 24 but still receives the majority of his/her support from the parents can be included. Siblings who are dependent (as defined by the FAFSA) as of the date you apply for aid are also included, regardless of whether they receive more than 50% of their support from the parents. Any other person who resides in the household and receives more than 50% support from the parents may also be counted, as long as they will continue to reside with your parents and the support is expected to continue through June 30 2020. An unborn child who will be born during the award year may also be counted in the household size.

<bound method Image.Title of <Image at /yc1/image-repository/white.gif>>
How do the schools I’m interested in get my FAFSA results?

You can list up to ten schools on your FAFSA. Those schools will receive you FAFSA results electronically.

<bound method Image.Title of <Image at /yc1/image-repository/white.gif>>
I probably don’t qualify for aid. Should I apply for aid anyway?

Yes. Many families mistakenly think they don’t qualify for aid and prevent themselves from receiving financial aid by failing to apply for it. In addition, there are a few sources of aid such as unsubsidized Stafford and PLUS loans that are available regardless of need. The FAFSA form is free. There is no good excuse for not applying

What is York college school codes?

Federal school code: 004759

State TAP Code: 1418

TAP (The New York State Tuition Assistance Program)

<bound method Image.Title of <Image at /yc1/image-repository/white.gif>>
What is TAP and am I eligible?

The New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) helps eligible New York residents pay tuition at approved schools in New York State.

<bound method Image.Title of <Image at /yc1/image-repository/white.gif>>
I received TAP last year, do I have to apply again?

Yes, you must reapply for TAP every year in addition to the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

<bound method Image.Title of <Image at /yc1/image-repository/white.gif>>
How much TAP can I receive each semester?

The amount of TAP you receive depends on your family income, the number of family members attending college full-time, the number of semesters you have received TAP, and the size of the annual appropriation for the program. Maximum TAP awards can be equal to but not greater than the full tuition charge at the college. State budgetary restrictions can further limit TAP awards to a portion of your tuition.

<bound method Image.Title of <Image at /yc1/image-repository/white.gif>>
I don’t think that I will be eligible for a TAP grant. Why should I bother to complete the form?

It never hurts to apply and let New York State decide whether you are eligible for a TAP grant. The application is easy and you just might qualify for other New York State grants and scholarships. Many students who are not eligible for Pell Grants still qualify for TAP.

<bound method Image.Title of <Image at /yc1/image-repository/white.gif>>
What are the basic conditions an applicant must meet to be considered independent?

The basic conditions are:

o   Has not resided and will not reside with parents for more than six weeks; and

o   Has not and will not receive financial assistance or support valued in excess of $750 from parents; and

o   Has not and will not be claimed as a dependent by either parent for purposes of either federal or state income tax.

<bound method Image.Title of <Image at /yc1/image-repository/white.gif>>
How do I apply to participate in the federal work study program?

To be considered for Federal Work Study, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as early as possible and indicate on the FAFSA your interest in Federal Work Study as part of your financial aid. Federal Work Study is awarded on a first-come, first serve basis.

Work Study

<bound method Image.Title of <Image at /yc1/image-repository/white.gif>>
Can international students receive federal work study?

As an international student, you cannot receive Federal Work Study, as you are not able to complete the FAFSA.  You can, however, apply for various scholarships on line or with th Scholarship Office at your school.

<bound method Image.Title of <Image at /yc1/image-repository/white.gif>>
What are the eligibility requirements to participate in the federal work study program?

To be eligible for a FWS award, you must:

 1. Complete the FAFSA at

2. Qualify for Federal Financial Aid

3. Have remaining financial need demonstrated through the FAFSA

 4. Be enrolled for at least 6 credits during the semester you want to work. If you are working during the summer, you are not required to be enrolled for the summer, but you need to be registered for at least 6 credits for the fall.

5. Meet the satisfactory academic progress requirements as listed on the financial aid website:

6. Be a US citizen or eligible non-citizen (i.e. permanent residents, or students with an I-94 that show Asylum or Refugee status)

7. Pass the Federal Work Study Orientation quiz with 100% and receive a certificate of completion

8. Work no more than 20 hours per week.


<bound method Image.Title of <Image at /yc1/image-repository/white.gif>>
If I am in the national guard or an active duty military member, am I considered a veteran for purposes of filling out the FAFSA?

You are considered a veteran for the purpose of filling out the FAFSA if you have engaged in active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines or Coast Guard) or were a National Guard or Reserve enlistee who was called to active duty for other than state or training purposes or were a cadet or midshipman at one of the service academies and were released under a condition other than dishonorable.

<bound method Image.Title of <Image at /yc1/image-repository/white.gif>>
Where is the veterans affairs office located?

The Veterans Affairs office is located in room 2D07. It is opened from

Monday- Wed 9am to 5pm,

Thursday 9am to 6:30 pm

Friday 9am to 3pm.

Point of contact

If you have any questions feel free to call The Veterans Affairs office using the number 718-262-5298. Also email any concerns or inquiries to the email address

As a Veteran, what documents will I need to start my registration process for college?

You would need these following documents:

o   DD214

o   COE ( Certificate of Eligibility)

o   Joint Service Transcript

o   Resume


<bound method Image.Title of <Image at /yc1/image-repository/white.gif>>
How do I register for classes?

1.      Log into CUNYfirst ( using your CUNYfirst username and password.

2.      Click on the Search for Classes button located in the upper right hand corner of your Student Center page.

3.      Fill out the Institution (York College), Term (Fall 2019), Course Subject, Course Number, and Course Career (undergraduate). Then click search click Search.

4.      Once you find a section you want to apply for, click on the Select Class button

5.      After you have selected all the classes you need, click on Enroll and you will be registered for the class

<bound method Image.Title of <Image at /yc1/image-repository/white.gif>>
When do I register for classes?

Student’s enrollment appointment date will appear on their “Student Services Center” of their CUNYFirst account. 

<bound method Image.Title of <Image at /yc1/image-repository/white.gif>>
How do I know when courses are closed?

On the CUNYFirst course registration page, students will find a legend informing them of sections that are open, closed or if you need to wait list. Below is the legend: 

<bound method Image.Title of <Image at /yc1/image-repository/white.gif>>
Can I register for classes if I have “hold(s)” on my account?

There are certain “Negative Service” indicators (holds) that can prevent students from registering for their classes. Below are some Negative indicators that can prevent students from registering:

1. Students with negative service indicators will notice a red icon at the top of their Student Services page. Students with negative service indicators should review their “Holds” on their Student Center page.

2. Students reviewing their holds will see one or more items listed, such as the example below. Keep in mind that students who attended other CUNY schools will see holds from their prior institution:

3. If students want more information pertaining to their hold, they can click on the active blue links under the “Hold Item” column. This will also indicate the office responsible for the hold. Below is an a example of what students may see:

<bound method Image.Title of <Image at /yc1/image-repository/white.gif>>
How do I check my academic progress?

Students can check they’re academic progress via Degree Works on York College’s website. Degree Works generates an easy to read degree audit that takes the courses from a student’s transcript and reorganizes them to fulfill requirements for a student’s degree,   major, minor and skills assessment as defined in the college bulletin. It is recommended   that a student check his/ her audit monthly due to updating of records.

<bound method Image.Title of <Image at /yc1/image-repository/white.gif>>
If I note a discrepancy in degree works, who can I speak to?

If you believe there is a discrepancy on your Degree Works, please visit the Academic Advisement Center, room AC-2C01 for assistance.

College Level Examination Program/ Advanced Placement Credits

<bound method Image.Title of <Image at /yc1/image-repository/white.gif>>
Where do I submit my AP and or CLEP exam scores?

All Advanced Placement (AP) and College Level Examination Program (CLEP) exam scores can be mailed to the Office of the Registrar at York College.

<bound method Image.Title of <Image at /yc1/image-repository/white.gif>>
What AP scores does York College accept?

Score 1 and 2: No course or credits awarded

Score 3: Elective credits Blanket are awarded in the discipline.

Score 4 or 5: York accepts a CLEP score of 50 or greater to award course and credits based upon subject examination only Course equivalent with credit(s).

Enrolling in classes off Campus

<bound method Image.Title of <Image at /yc1/image-repository/white.gif>>
What can I do if a needed course is not being offered at York?

An e-Permit is CUNY's online application for students to obtain permission to register and attend classes at another CUNY institution. An e-Permit is required for concurrent registration at two or more CUNY institutions. Please note that an e-Permit does NOT automatically register a student for the approved course or guarantee enrollment at the host college. 

<bound method Image.Title of <Image at /yc1/image-repository/white.gif>>
How do I apply for an e-Permit?

Please follow the instructions provided on the Office of the Registrar’s website at

<bound method Image.Title of <Image at /yc1/image-repository/white.gif>>
Can I apply for an e-Permit at any time?

No. Students may only apply for an e-Permit on or after their assigned registration appointment date and time for the session/term. Please note: E-Permit requests must be submitted at least one week before the 1st day of classes in a given session/term.

<bound method Image.Title of <Image at /yc1/image-repository/white.gif>>
Can I take a course at a Non-CUNY College?

Yes. Students interested in registering for a course at a Non-CUNY college must complete the Non-CUNY e-Permit form and submit it to the office of registrar, room 1H06.  

This form may be accessed at 

<bound method Image.Title of <Image at /yc1/image-repository/white.gif>>
How do I cancel an e-Permit that has already been approved?

 Follow the instructions below:

1. Log onto your CUNYFirst account and select Student Center:

2. On the drop down menu select the “e-Permit” option

3. Choose the desired term at York College, select “Search e-Permit” then click “Continue”. If you have been approved for an e-Permits applied for an e-Permits that were approved, you would see it listed. Select the approved e-permit request

Enrollment Verification

<bound method Image.Title of <Image at /yc1/image-repository/white.gif>>
My employer/ job/scholarship is asking for a proof of enrollment, what should I do?

You should go o York’s register office and obtain a enrollment verification letter. An enrollment verification letter is an official letter from York College informing outside companies, school and /or employer(s) that the student is currently enrolled at the college and the number of credits they are enrolling. If the student is not attending, the letter will reflect that information.

<bound method Image.Title of <Image at /yc1/image-repository/white.gif>>
Do I need to pay a fee to receive my enrollment verification letter?

No fee is required. However, the student may not receive the letter if any negative service indicator(s) (holds) appear on the student’s record.

<bound method Image.Title of <Image at /yc1/image-repository/white.gif>>
Can I print out my enrollment verification letter at home?

Yes. However, if the letter needs a signature and/ or official seal, students will need to request the letter in person at the Office of the Registrar.

<bound method Image.Title of <Image at /yc1/image-repository/white.gif>>
Where can I check the status of my e-Permit request on CUNYFirst?

Students can review e-Permit status by logging onto their CUNYFirst accounts and following the instructions below:  

1.  Log onto your CUNYFirst account and select Student Center:


2.    On the drop down menu select the “e-Permit” option:

3.  Choose the desired term at York College, select “Search e-Permit” then click “Continue”:


Students who have submitted e-Permit applications can view the status (initiated, approved, or denied) of each request on this page. If you have not submitted any request, you will see “No Currently Active e-Permit” on the screen.


<bound method Image.Title of <Image at /yc1/image-repository/white.gif>>
Is my academic record protected?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) also known as, the Buckley Amendment is a federal law designed to protect the privacy of education records, to establish the right of currently enrolled or formerly enrolled students to inspect and review their education records, and to provide   guidelines for the correction of inaccurate and misleading data through informal and formal hearings.

<bound method Image.Title of <Image at /yc1/image-repository/white.gif>>
What can I do to prevent my directory information from being released?

Students who wish to keep their directory information from being released must fill out the   CUNY Directory Information Non- Disclosure form. By filling out this form, you may request that any or all directory information not be released without your prior written consent. You can submit this form to the Office of the Registrar in the Academic Core Building, Rm 1H06.

<bound method Image.Title of <Image at /yc1/image-repository/white.gif>>
If I am a parent of a college student, do I have the right to see my child's education records, especially if I pay the bill?

The rights under FERPA transfer from the parents to the student, once the student turns 18 years old or enters a postsecondary institution at any age. However, although the rights under FERPA have now transferred to the student, a school may disclose information from an “eligible student's" education records to the parents of the student, without the student’s consent, if the student is a dependent for tax purposes. Neither the age of the student nor the parent’s status as a custodial parent is relevant. If a student is claimed as a dependent by either parent for tax purposes, then either parent may have access under this provision. 

International Students

<bound method Image.Title of <Image at /yc1/image-repository/white.gif>>
How do I stay in status?

International students studying on an F-1 visa must register for 12 or more credits every semester and must maintain a GPA of 2.0 or better.  

<bound method Image.Title of <Image at /yc1/image-repository/white.gif>>
Can I work off- campus?

International students may work off-campus, but the employment must be in the related field of study. Be sure to visit the DSO for more information. 

<bound method Image.Title of <Image at /yc1/image-repository/white.gif>>
Can I leave the US to go to my home country or travel abroad?

International students may leave the US as long as classes are not in session and the student’s I-20 is signed by the Designated School Official (DSO) prior to leaving the college. If any International student encounters an emergency at home please meet with your DSO immediately. 

<bound method Image.Title of <Image at /yc1/image-repository/white.gif>>
Do I qualify for lower tuition?

No. F1 students always pay out of state tuition rate.