Timetable for Success
Self Assessment and Career Planning
- Register with the Office of Career Services and receive guidance on your journey to career success.
- Conduct a self-assessment using skills, values and interest inventories.
- Explore different academic disciplines.
- Gather information about interesting careers.
- Get a summer job and begin to acquire work experience.
- Register for Coop 101 or SD 120 and Coop 111
- With the assistance of a career advisor, analyze your self-assessment inventories.
- Gather information about career options that match your self assessment.
- Select a major that is consistent with skills, value, interests and career choice.
- Develop a resume and career action plan.
- Begin exploring internship opportunities.
- Continue to acquire work experience through part-time job, summer job or volunteer work.
- Develop computer skills.
- Begin to focus on a career option, consult with family, faculty, counselors and administrators.
- Join student organizations in your chosen area.
- Review qualifications for employment in chosen career field.
- Attend career development workshops sponsored by Office of Career Services.
- Obtain internships in related career areas where possible.
- Acquaint yourself with relevant professional publications and begin to develop professional contacts.
- Begin thinking about possible options after graduation; graduate school, employment, etc.
- Apply for and take necessary exams for graduate and professional schools.
- Develop a job search campaign and put it in full gear.
- Refine your resume and attend workshops on interviewing techniques, job search techniques, business etiquette, etc.
- Continue to obtain internships.
- Stay in constant communication with the Office of Career Services via e-mail and their website.
- Talk to everybody you can who may be able to assist you in your job search.