Skip to Main Content

What if my child is a minor and he or she is taking classes at a local college while still in high school, do I have rights?

Do I have the right to view my child's record ifhe or she is taking classes as a high school student

If a student is attending a postsecondary institution at any age, the rights under FERPA have transferred to the student. However, in a situation where a student is enrolled in both a high school and a postsecondary institution (i.e. College Now and York Early College Academy students), the two schools may exchange information on that student. If the student is under 18, the parents still retain the rights under FERPA at the high school and may inspect and review any records sent by the postsecondary institution to the high school.