Environmental Health Science (BS)
- The Online Bulletin is for information purposes only. Current students must complete the requirements as outlined in the York Bulletin as applicable.
- Course Descriptions
- Course descriptions can be found in the online PDF version of the Bulletin
The Environmental Health Science Program is designed for students with a special interest in improving the quality of man's physical environment.
Students will be prepared for careers in industrial, governmental, health care, urban affairs, and educational agencies concerned with environmental health, occupational health, public health, and community interaction.
As professional technologists students will be prepared to assist in the conduct of comprehensive environmental control programs. They will have acquired skills in laboratory and field procedures from the analysis of water, food and air pollutants.
Those satisfactorily completing the program may seek certification by continuing their studies at the graduate level. The program includes general and specialized components with a field study requirement only in the latter cases. Consequently, students may elect the General Program (no field study) or specialize by electing a concentration in either public health, industrial, or hospital environmental studies (with field study).
Screening Criteria and Procedures for Field Study (Internship) - Environmental Health Science
- Matriculation at York College.
- Completion of 64 college credits, with an overall GPA of 2.0.
Environmental Health Science BS
Major Discipline Requirements*
I. Required Foundation Courses
|MATH121||Analytic Geometry and Calculus I||4|
|PHYS113||Physics Laboratory I||1|
|PHYS115||College Physics I||4|
|PHYS117||University Physics I||4|
II. Required Environmental Health Science Major Courses
|EHS211||Principles of Environmental Health Sciences||2|
|EHS212||Principles of Environmental Health Sciences in Laboratory||2|
|EHS340||Pollution Control Technology||3|
|EHS351||Fundamentals of Air Pollution||3|
|EHS420||Water Quality Analysis and Management||4|
|EHS426||Solid Waste Management||3|
|EHS428||Water Pollution Biology||3|
III. Independent Study and Internship (6 credits)
|Choose 6 credits from the following:|
|EHS430||Field Study in Environmental Management||3|
IV. Environmental Health Science Electives (9 credits)
|Choose 9 credits from the following:|
|EHS425||Disease Vector Control||3|
|EHS432||Application of GIS in Environmental Health Science||4|
|EHS433||Environmental Health and Safety Regulations||3|
|HPGC201||Principles of Epidemiology||3|
|CHEM241||Instrumental Methods of Analysis||3|
|GEOL349||Environmental Impact Assessment||1|
Environmental Health Science majors must take Chemistry 108, 109, 111,112, Biology 201 and 202.
Field Study Centers - Environmental Health Science
- Booth Memorial Hospital Infectious Disease Control
- Dept. of Water Resources Bureau of Water Pollution Control
- New York City Department of Environmental Protection
- New York City Transit Authority
- Pfizer Pharmaceutical Company
- Dept. of Industrial Safety, Nassau County Department of Health
- Nassau County Medical Center
- New York City Department of Health Academy
- New York City Department of Air Resources - Environmental Impact Analysis and Review
- Queens Hospital Center Clinical Campus
- United States Department of Labor Div. of Occupational Safety and Health