Revised Message from VP Geneva Walker-Johnson
While student interest in the elections was strong, serious concerns were brought by a number of the members of the student body about the election voting process. As a result, from May 14 to June 30, the Student Elections Review Committee (SERC) investigated the allegations in accordance with Section 15.2(d) of the Board Bylaws.
After considerable research and deliberation that included personal testimony into the issues presented to SERC, a partial certification was issued on June 27, 2014. Five candidates were not certified and were given an opportunity to appeal the decision of SERC to the College president. Of that number, three students appealed. Their appeals were heard by the president on July 29 and 31, 2014. The president notified the students of her decision upholding the SERC Committee on August 5, 2014.
On September 4th, York College Student Government (YCSG) successfully held its election of officers to serve for the academic year 2014-15. They are:
- President Shaikh Al Amin
- Vice President Day Gesmen Begum
- Vice President Evening Samad Newaz
- Executive Director Dupah Gobin
- Treasurer Ahmed Adam
- Recording Secretary Hadiatou Sow
- Corresponding Secretary Thinley Wongmo
- Parliamentarian Krystal Davy
- USS Delegate 1 Salim Gnabode
- USS Delegate 2 Hripsime Petrosyan
- USS Alternate 1 Hooria Harmain
- USS Alternate 2 Shaikh Al Amin
I ask the York College community to join me in congratulating the new officers and to commit to working with them collaboratively in the academic year 2014-2015.