President's Message: Student Success Agenda
Dear York College Community:
I hope you are all adjusting well to this new semester, and that you are keeping safe and warm. When we shifted to online learning last March, who could have imagined that we would still be working in this reality ten months later? However, we continue our commitment to our students, faculty, and staff, ensuring that we are providing them the very best that we can offer.
At this time, I am writing to share with you the work that started at the end of last semester and will continue throughout this semester, surrounding student success, a key goal in our strategic plan. Our Interim Provost and Executive Vice President, Dr. Derrick Brazill, and our Interim Vice President for Enrollment Management and Student Affairs, Dr. Karen Williams, will lead our campus in our efforts to provide a collaborative and focused approach to develop initiatives that support retention and graduation. The following are examples of several initiatives:
- Creating the Strategic Enrollment Management Committee: Charged with working to identify strategic initiatives for purposes of improving enrollment, retention, graduation rates, and the student experience.
- Reengineering student advising
- Reviewing existing articulation agreements
- Reinforcing the Academic Momentum Campaign
- Adopting a Peer Success Coach Program
- Repurposing scholarship funds for incentive and completion grants
- Expanding the Mental Health and Wellness Program.
We want our community to collaborate with us as we enhance our approach to student success. To that end, we are introducing an email address that will serve as a “virtual suggestion box,” allowing community members to contribute their ideas for student success initiatives: StudentSuccess@york.cuny.edu. The success of our students is a college-wide effort, and we want to hear your ideas on how we can help to improve the student experience.
In addition, we would like to update you on the College’s annual operational plan. The plan, along with various activities and the progress made through December, is located on the intranet. I thank you for your continued dedication to our students and to York College. We will continue to share our work throughout the semester.
Berenecea Johnson Eanes