New Printer/Copiers on the Way: Notice from the Office of Planning and Budget
The program will replace our current inventory of printers and copiers with new, state-of-the-art multi-function devices (MFDs). The partnership will help the College to progress in a number of areas and achieve the following objectives:
Improve service to end users by providing:
- Equipment redundancy
- Faster, state-of-the-art equipment
- Expanded functionality
- Overall productivity savings
- Environmental sustainability improvement
- Managed print governance
- Uniform support of print and copier services
- Streamlining and rightsizing the number of MFDs in offices
- Implementation of a charge back system
End users will have the access to the following functions:
- Secure Print (The MFDs will only begin to print when instructed - especially good for confidential information)
- Double-sided printing default mode
- Faxing directly from the MFD
- MFDs in a few offices will have color printing capability (large color printing jobs will need to be sent to Printing Services)
- New technology will provide faster and more reliable service
- Xerox will monitor devices proactively and will send alerts directly to the helpdesk when assistance is needed
- Xerox, not departments, will be responsible for ensuring toner and other consumables for the MFDs are available when needed (this does not include paper)
- For whatever reason, if an MFD in your area is temporarily out of service, print jobs could be sent to a nearby MFD with the same capabilities.
Additional Benefits include:
- The new MFDs will use green technologies which will have less impact on the environment. They will use less power, generate fewer emissions, require less space, and will use fewer supplies (paper and toner) than our current inventory of copiers and printers.
- By assessing the business requirements and demand for print output, the College will be able to determine the proper blend of functionality and technology required by each end user and have the flexibility to adjust functionality and equipment as needed.
- York will improve its information security capability to adhere to regulatory compliance. The new technology will help us meet the regulatory compliance security standards that require controlled access to protected data. Through features like Xerox's "Secure Print and Image Overwrite," confidential data is kept safe by electronically "shredding" information stored on a device's hard disk, on demand or automatically upon the project's completion.
- York will gain greater financial discipline and improve our ability to manage long-term costs. Xerox will start by monitoring the York office output devices, such as printers and copiers, in order to reduce printing costs. In-depth reports on how each device is used will help York reduce down-time and improve efficiency and manage costs more effectively.
Although we have selected printers with the highest sustainable properties and superior functionality, there still may be a few reasons why staff may not be able to utilize a shared printer (e.g., isolated office, ADA accommodations relevant to printer use, a unique application unable to print to a shared printer). If you feel that you are unable to utilize a shared printer, please convey your request in writing to your supervisor who will submit it to his/her department head for review and submission to my office for final decision. Please include likely consequences that would occur if the desktop printer is removed.
Our goal is to deliver a great user experience with a reduction of printing devices that will achieve the above goals. In the meantime, we will suspend any orders for standalone printers for areas identified as eligible for the "Print Smart" program. We anticipate completing the first phase of this project no later than March 31, 2015. Compliance by all departments with this program will help make CUNY/York the best managed college in New York City.
Over the next few weeks, areas that are currently without copiers will be provided new devices as part of our goal to assist those with the greatest need. Subsequently, look for invitations to training sessions on the new equipment and notices about the timing of installation of the new MFDs in the early weeks of 2015.
Thank you for your cooperation and support. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at 718-262-2332 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ismael Perez
Assistant Vice President for Planning and Budget