Student Makes Division III History for York
York College senior Dorianny Rojas has been named one of 40 ethnic-minority student-athletes chosen to participate in the prestigious 2020 NCAA Division III Student Immersion Program. Born in Moca, Dominican Republic, Rojas is the first student-athlete in program history to be selected for the program and will travel to Anaheim, California for the NCAA Convention from January 22-25.
The Division III Student Immersion Program is held annually in conjunction with the NCAA Convention. The program targets ethnic minority students, preferably juniors and seniors, with a strong interest in a career in Division III athletics (coaching and/or administration).
Rojas, a native of Brooklyn, majors in community health education and competes in six sports as a member of the women's cross country, softball, swimming, indoor/outdoor track & field, and volleyball programs. As a 2018-19 CUNYAC Indoor Track & Field Sportsmanship Award honoree and three-time CUNYAC Sportsmanship Team selection in softball, swimming and track & field, Rojas will be exposed to Division III, its members, and the governance process. In addition to the specific welcome and debrief meetings, Rojas will attend scheduled Division III programming that will consist of a mentor, educational and business sessions, forums, athlete workshops, Special Olympics unified sports activities, and additional opportunities for the athletes to connect, network, and celebrate during the four-day program.
In 2015, at the recommendation of the Division III Diversity and Inclusion Working Group, the Division III governance staff and the NCAA Office of Inclusion partnered on a new program that brought 40 ethnic minority students to the NCAA Convention.
The selected students are fully funded to attend the Convention. In addition to the scheduled Division III programming, grant recipients receive DiSC training, and attend welcome and debrief meetings. The goal is to build a pipeline of talented ethnic minority candidates, with an interest in Division III coaching and/or administration, in an effort to ultimately diversify the division.
2020 NCAA Division III Student Immersion Program Schedule
Wednesday, January 22
- 3-4 p.m. Opening Welcome Session
- 4-5:30 p.m. Networking Session
- 6-9 p.m. Honors Celebration Dinner
Thursday, January 23
- 7-8:15 a.m. Mentor Breakfast
- 8:30-11:15 a.m. NCAA Convention Education Sessions
- 11:30-12:45 p.m. Division III Student-Athlete Luncheon
- 1-2 p.m. Career Opportunities Panel with Mentors
- 2-4 p.m. DiSC Workshop
- 4:30-6 p.m. Plenary Session
- 6-7:30 p.m. Delegates Reception
- 8-9:30 p.m. Division III Student-Athlete Mixer
Friday, January 24
- 7-8 a.m. Delegates Breakfast
- 8-11 a.m. Division III Issues Forum
- 11:30-1 p.m. Association Luncheon
- 1-5 p.m. Conference Meeting
- 5:30 p.m. Dinner with Conference or SAAC
Saturday, January 25
- 7-8 a.m. Delegates Breakfast
- 8-11a.m. Division III Business Session
- 11- 12-noon Debrief Meeting
To learn more please visit the 2020 NCAA Division III Student Immersion Program website.
For the latest news on the Cardinals, log on to www.yorkathletics.com – the official site of York College athletics. Also, become a follower of the Cardinals on Instagram (@yorkcardinals) and Twitter (@yorkcardinals), and "LIKE" Us on Facebook (York Athletics).