- Math/CS Club Talk: The Fair Distribution of Disaster Relief Funds
- Math/CS Club Talk
- What Mathematics Math
- When Sep 10, 2015 from 12:00 PM to 01:00 PM (GMT+0 / UTC0)
- Where AC/2C07: Department of Mathematics and Computer Science Conference Room
- Contact Name Dr. Lidia Gonzalez
- Contact Phone 718-262-2551
- Attendees Talks are open to all (you do NOT have to be a math or CS major to attend).
- Add event to calendar iCal
Join us for a talk by Dr. Joseph Malkevitch (Professor Emiritus, Department of Mathematics & Computer Science).
The Fair Distribution of Disaster Relief Funds
What is a fair way to distribute the limited funds that are available to pay off claims after a disaster such as a hurricane, flood, or earthquake? The main issue is that typically there is not enough money allocated to cover all the legitimately established claims. There are surprisingly many different appealing systems to carry out a "fair" distribution and many different views as to what fairness means. The mathematical ideas involved are useful in many situations other than disaster relief.
This talk is self-contained (no prior knowledge of the topic is needed.)
Snacks will be provided.
Math/CS Club talks & activities take place on Thursdays from 12pm – 1pm unless otherwise noted.