GenCyber Teacher Training
The GenCyber Teacher Training Cybersecurity Academy at York College provides summer camp experiences for middle and high school STEM teachers.
The GenCyber Teacher Camp, hosted at York College, offers middle-school and high-school STEM teachers a professional development program that incorporates cybersecurity concepts, classroom, and extracurriculars. The camp is sponsored by the National Science Foundation (NSF) and the National Security Agency (NSA).
Our GenCyber Camp provides the opportunity for teachers to learn about cybersecurity concepts, technology, and the First Principles. Fun educational games and activities are embedded in our curriculum that uses learner-centered, problem-based, and peer-assisted learning approaches to engage and empower our camp participants.
Topics: Fundamental cybersecurity concepts, cyber hygiene, cybercrimes, basics of cryptography, social engineering, web and mobile security, cyber technology, ethics and more
Learn how to develop lesson plans and education games on cybersecurity topics!
Giveaways: Each participant will receive a $1,000 stipend and several giveaways! 54 Continuing Teacher and Leader Education (CTLE) credit hours will also be offered.
The schedule below is tentative, and is subject to change
Pre-camp Outreach activities
- Virtual orientation and information session: June 22, 2023.
- Virtual Lesson Plan Workshop: July 11th 6pm – 8pm and July 18th 6pm – 8pm
- Educational Field Trip; SpyScape Museum, NYC: Date TBD
Summer Camp : July 31 - August 4, 2023
Post-camp Outreach activities
- Virtual Post-camp Collaborative Workshop: Fall 2023
- Teacher Learning Community: Fall 2023
- GenCyber Cybersecurity Awareness Challenge: Spring 2024
Location: The summer camp session will take place on campus, York College. Other outreach activities will be administered online or as stated otherwise.
Who Can Apply?
The camp is designed for STEM teacher participants with little or no experience and knowledge in computer science, cybersecurity, or related fields. Teacher participants must meet the following requirements to be considered for the GenCyber Camp at York College:
- Be a STEM teacher at 6-8 grades for the middle school teacher cohort and a STEM teacher at 9-12 grades for the high-school teacher cohort.
- Be a full-time teacher at a NY public or charter school.
How To Apply?
Application Deadline for 2023 Summer Camp: Ongoing
All applicants will be notified if they have been selected or placed on a waiting list by June 22, 2023.
Selected applicant's participation is Ongoing.
If you have any questions, please send an email to email@example.com
- Dr. Fenio Annansingh-Jamieson, Program Director (and co-Principal Investigator)
- Dr. Thitima Srivatanakul, Lead Instructor (and Principal Investigator)
- Dr. Xin Bai, co-Principal Investigator, Instructional Design Expert, and Lead Learning Specialist
- Dr. Derrick Brazill, co-Principal Investigator
The program is supported by the National Science Foundation, the National Security Agency and GenCyber. Award No. H98230-22-1-0230.
The GenCyber program is supported by the National Security Agency and the National Science Foundation. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation, the National Security Agency, or the U.S. government.