Technical requirements for using Blackboard.
The minimum requirements for Blackboard are:
- A computer and an internet connection.
- A current web browser ( Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, or Chrome). FireFox works best with Blackboard 9. See the supported browsers and OSs in the linked site below.
- The latest Java plug-in. Java is required to use Blackboard Collaborate and file drag-and-drop for instructors.
- Your York email account. If you do not have an email address in Blackboard, you can still use Blackboard. However, you will not receive messages sent by your professor from Blackboard. (Blackboard uses your York email, or other CUNY campus email if you prefer. It is the University requirement that no personal email is used for official and academic communication.)
- Software applications recommended or required by your instructor (ex: Word, PowerPoint, Excel).
- A speaker or head-phone if the course site has audio and video presentations.
Blackboard Supported Browsers and Operating Systems
Blackboard Collaborate - Web Conferencing
Software Download provides free software you may need in order to use Blackboard.