The Federal Work-Study (FWS) program provides an opportunity to be placed in a part-time job that will accommodate your academic schedule during the school year.
If you are awarded FWS, you must work in an eligible work-study job, either on-campus or off-campus, in order to receive the money. Placement assistance for work-study jobs can be found at Student Financial Services. You must have a FAFSA on file and demonstrate financial need in order to be eligible for FWS.
All awarded Federal Work-Study students must follow these criteria:
- Have an FWS Award on CUNYfirst and must accept it
- Registered for at least 6 credits
- Must be making Satisfactory Academic Progress
- Must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, refugee, or asylee
- Must work at an FWS-approved on-campus or off-campus worksite
- Work no more than 20 hours per week.
TAX Return Document: W-2, Wage and Tax Statement
Your Federal Work-Study (FWS) Form W-2, Wage, and Tax Statement are available on CUNYfirst Self-Service at the beginning of the fiscal year.
You must grant consent to start receiving an electronic form W-2
To review, download, and print your Form W-2, log in to CUNYfirst (Campus Solution). Navigate to (Self-Service > Payroll and Compensation > View W-2/W-2c) and click the link to download your file.
|Grade Level||Pay Rate|
|Freshman||$17.00 per hour|
|Sophomore||$17.00 per hour|
|Junior||$17.50 per hour|
|Senior||$17.50 per hour|
Off-campus salary varies per hour.
FWS Orientation - Online with Zoom
Work-study students must attend an orientation to begin working.
Invites to FWS orientations will be emailed to students. Only awarded students, at present, are allowed to work. The cut-off date for awarding is August 4th, 2022.
- July 1, 2022 - First day to work Summer 2022 (You must receive a Confirmation Email before starting).
- August 15, 2022 - Last day to work in Summer 2022.
- TBA - First day to work in Fall 2022.
- Working During Breaks: All students may continue to work during these breaks as needed by the supervisor.
- Winter Session - December 27, 2021, to January 27, 2022.
- January 28, 2022 - First day to work in Spring 2022.
- Spring Recess - April 15 to April 22, 2022.
- May 24, 2022 - Last day to work for the 2021-2022 Academic Year.
The deadline to accept your FWS Award is September 30, 2022. Paperwork is due back by Monday, October 3, 2022. The unaccepted award will be deleted thereafter.
In order to begin work, eligible work-study students must complete all of the following:
- You must accept your FWS award on CUNYfirst
- Attend one (1) FWS orientation session.*
- Registered for at least 6 credits in the fall 2022 semester.
- Must be making Satisfactory Academic Progress.
Fall 2022 Online Orientation Sessions with ZOOM or In Person
|Wednesday||August 17, 2022||12:00 pm||Zoom Session|
|Tuesday||August 23, 2022||10:00 am||Zoom Session|
|Friday||August 26, 2022||2:00 pm||Zoom Session|
|Thursday||September 1, 2022||11:00 am||Zoom Session ID#8584150407 Pass Code 2022|
|Thursday||September 8, 2022||12:00 pm||Room 1M06|
|Monday||September 12, 2022||3:00 pm||Zoom Session ID#8584150407 Pass Code 2022|
* You must attend only one (1) Fall or Spring orientation in order to work for the Fall or Spring semester.
Please, report 15 minutes early. You will not be allowed in any session if you arrive 10 minutes after the session starts. Each session is expected to last 45 minutes.
Required Documents will be distributed during orientation sessions. Paperwork due back 10/03/2022.
Job Placement Procedure
Students must submit all documentation before working at a site.
What to do after Orientation
- Write down the contact information on the jobs you are interested in.
- Call and arrange an interview.
- Take your contract to the interview. If hired, get two (2) signatures for the contract.
- Return the signed contract with IDs (original and copy) to Ms. Morrison before or by due date.
- Wait for your supervisor to call you to start working.
- If you cannot find a job, please contact Ms. Morrison.
Off-Campus Job Information
All interested students must be approved by the FWS Coordinator, Ms. Cheryl Morrison in order to work off-campus. Students must be advised that payment schedules are managed by Public Service Corps and should consult their supervisor.
Public Service Corps Info and Application
Public Service Corps Info
The New York City Public Service Corps (PSC) is dedicated to providing undergraduate and graduate students with opportunities to serve their communities, build occupational skills, and learn about careers in the public sector.
If You Missed the Fall FWS Orientation
If you missed the Fall FWS this is what you can do.
FWS Jobs Listing Fall 2022
2022-2023 Academic Year. On-campus jobs, Job inquiries are for FWS Orientated students with 6 or more credits
FWS Payroll Calender
2022 - 2023 Payroll Calendar for Federal Work Study.
FWS Supervisors Only
Useful information for FWS Supervisors
Federal Work Study On-Campus Supervisors Training