Federal Work Study
The Federal Work-Study (FWS) program provides an opportunity to be placed in a part-time job that will accommodate your academic schedule during the school year.
If you are awarded FWS, you must work in an eligible work-study job, either on-campus or off-campus, in order to receive the money. Placement assistance for work-study jobs can be found at Student Financial Services. You must have a FAFSA on file and demonstrate financial need in order to be eligible for FWS.
All awarded Federal Work Study students must follow these criteria:
- Have an FWS Award on CUNYfirst and must accept it
- Registered for at least 6 credits
- Must be making Satisfactory Academic Progress
- Must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, refugee, or asylee
- Must work at an FWS approved on-campus or off-campus worksite
- Work no more than 20 hours per week.
TAX Return Document: W-2, Wage and Tax Statement
Your Federal Work-Study (FWS) Form W-2, Wage, and Tax Statement are available on CUNYfirst Self-Service at the beginning of the fiscal year.
You must grant consent to start receiving an electronic form W-2
To review, download, and print your Form W-2, log in to CUNYfirst (HR/Campus Solution) at https://home.cunyfirst.cuny.edu. Navigate to (Self-Service > Payroll and Compensation > View W-2/W-2c) and click the link to download your file.
For frequently asked questions about the Form W-2, visit http://www2.cuny.edu/financial-aid/tuition-and-college-costs/refunds/fws/.
|Grade Level||Pay Rate|
|Freshman||$17.00 per hour|
|Sophomore||$17.00 per hour|
|Junior||$17.50 per hour|
|Senior||$17.50 per hour|
Off-campus salary varies per hour.
Work study students must attend orientation to begin working.
* Last day to work for Fall 18 graduates is December 21, 2018.
* Working During Breaks: All students may continue to work during these breaks as needed by supervisor.
* Winter Session - December 27, 2018 to January 24, 2019
* Spring Recess - April 19 to 28, 2019.
* First day to work Spring 19 is January 25, 2019 and the last day to work is May 22, 2019.
Deadline to accept your FWS Award is September 28, 2018. Unaccepted award will be deleted thereafter.
In order to begin work, eligible work study students must complete all of the following:
- You must accept your FWS award on CUNYfirst
- * Attend one (1) FWS orientation session.
- Registered for at least 6 credits in the Fall 18' semester.
- Must be making Satisfactory Academic Progress.
Spring 2019 Orientation
|Friday||January 25, 2019||10:15 am||1M06|
|Thursday||January 31, 2019||12:15 pm||1M06|
|Thursday||February 7, 2019||2:15 pm||2M05|
|Wednesday||February 13, 2019||1:15 pm||1M06|
|Tuesday||February 19, 2019||12:15 pm||1M06|
* You must attend a Summer orientation to work in the Summer semester.
* You must attend only one (1) Fall or Spring orientation in order to work for the Fall or Spring semester.
Please arrive 15 minutes early. You will not be allowed in any session if you arrive 10 minutes after the session starts. Each Session is expected to last 2 hours.
Required Documents will be distributed during orientation sessions.
Job Placement Procedure
Students must submit all documentation BEFORE working choosing a work site.
What to do after Orientation
- Write down the contact information on the jobs you are interested in.
- Call and arrange an interview.
- Take your contract to the interview. If hired, get two (2) signatures for the contract.
- Return the signed contract with IDs (original and copy) to room 1M08.
- Wait for your supervisor to call you to start working.
- If you cannot find a job, please see Ms. Morrison in room 1M08.
Off-Campus Job Information
All interested students must be approved by the FWS Coordinator, Ms. Cheryl Morrison in order to work off-campus. Students must be advised that payment schedules are managed by Public Service Corps and should consult their supervisor.
Public Service Corps Info and Application
PSC Work-Study Application
Public Service Corps Info
The New York City Public Service Corps (PSC) is dedicated to providing undergraduate and graduate students with opportunities to serve their communities, build occupational skills, and learn about careers in the public sector.
If You Missed the Fall FWS Orientation
If you missed the Fall FWS this is what you can do.
Jobs for FWS
2018-2019 Academic Year. On-campus jobs, Job inquiries are for FWS Orientated students with 6 or more credits
FWS Request Need Form
Form is to be filled out by someone requesting a work study student from any department.
FWS Payroll Calender
2018 - 2019 Payroll Calendar for Federal Work Study.
FWS Supervisors Only
Useful information for FWS Supervisors
Federal Work Study - Need Form (Supervisor Only)
This form is for supervisors who are interested in hiring a work study student for their department. On this form you may fill out the qualifications you would like the work study student to have.