- 2020 Southeast Queens Biennial
- Writing Home: Literacy. Identity. Environment
- What Fine Arts student student featured employee employee featured Faculty
- When Feb 14, 2020 to Apr 17, 2020 (America/New_York / UTC-500)
- Where York College Fine Arts Gallery, William P. Miller Gallery at the Jamaica Center for Arts and Learning
- Contact Name SEQ Biennial
- Web Visit external website
- Add event to calendar iCal
Margaret Rose Vendryes & Molaundo Jones
Press Reception with Curators
February 21, 2020, at 1 PM starting at York College Fine Arts
March 27 - York College Fine Arts Gallery, 6-9PM
April 16 - William P. Miller Gallery at the Jamaica Center for Arts and Learning, 6-9 PM.
For participating artists and location details visit: seqbiennial.com
Opening on Valentine’s Day, the second Southeast Queens Biennial will be a nine-week group exhibition at the York College Fine Arts Gallery and William P. Miller Gallery at the Jamaica Center for Arts and Learning. Molaundo Jones and Margaret Rose Vendryes, the curators who are also visual artists, have invited ten Queens-based artists to address literacy, identity, and environment with work that investigates how their creative practice contributes to the life of the borough. Statistics document the remarkable ethnic and cultural diversity of Queens, but relay little about what is it like to live/work/play within culture-fluid communities that are still becoming "home" for many of its residents. Through painting, book arts, installation, photography, doll arts, performance, and interactive constructions, the 2020 SEQ Biennial artists reveal what can be “read,” in more ways than one, through the visual arts. Definitions of literacy, identity, and environment, remain open-ended as these Queens artists compliment, and complicate, NYC life through visual narratives that are like writing home.
For inquiries contact: firstname.lastname@example.org