VoiceThread assignment - Comment on a presentation
- If this is your first time creating a VoiceThread from scratch, please create a VT Homepage link before continuing with this tutorial.
- If you have created a VoiceThread in the past, please continue viewing the tutorial.
This type of assignment provides opportunities for students to present their understanding of the course topics, demonstrate their speech, language, or any other skills. You can also allow students to see their peers’ presentations and comment on them in video, audio, or text format.
Follow the steps in the linked tutorial below to create such an assignment. Afterward, a grade column is added automatically in your Blackboard (Bb) course Grade Center.
Creating a VoiceThread link to add your assignments
To create any VoiceThread (VT) assignments, you will need to create a space to put all your assignments. This is a tutorial on how to create a VoiceThread link in your Bb course.
VoiceThread is integrated into Bb. It works best on Google Chrome and Firefox.
- Go to a content area page in your Bb course.
- Click "Build Content" > "York VoiceThread".
- On the Create VoiceThread screen, type in an appropriate name and description/instruction.
- When creating an assignment, click Yes for "Enable Evaluation".
- Fill in possible points, set up a due date, and click "Submit".
- Click on the newly created VoiceThread link.
- Under "Choose an activity type" page, click on "Assignment Builder".
Creating a Comment Assignment
- From the Assignment Builder page, click "Comment," then "Continue".
- You will see previous VT videos that you've created. If you want student to comment on a previously created VT video, click on the thumbnail, select which comments you would like to use for this assignment, and click "Continue".
If you have not created a VT video, click "+ Create New VoiceThread" on the top-right hand corner," add your video/slide, and click "Continue".
- Add media and edit slides if necessary, then click "Continue".
- To record additional comments for students, click on the "+ Comment" in the middle, and press "Continue" when you finishing adding the comments.
- Modify Participation requirements, student comment types and additional permissions.
- You may limit the comment type by students only using Mic or Webcam so they cannot upload text and other medias. If you want to make sure that the voice recorded is really from your students, you can limit it to Webcam only.
- If you do not want students to view other student's comments, checkbox "Enable comment moderation".
- Student Gallery: If you want students to see each other's works for student interaction, check-box "Allow students to see other's submission to the assignment" then "Continue".
- Add Assignment Name, Instructions, and optionally Example URL.
- Setup your date restrictions:
- Start date is when the assignment is available to students.
- Due date is when the assignment is due.
- Close date is when the assignment is not visible to students.
- Check-box if you want to allow student re-submission and/or viewing their assignments after submission.
- Select the Grading type : Percentage, Complete/Incomplete, and Points.
- Click "Publish" and your VoiceThread comment assignment is created.
- Setting up a comment assignment - provides detailed description of each option mentioned here.
- Creating videos, voice-over-PowerPoint or mini-lectures on VoiceThread
- Creating a Presentation assignment that requires students to present course related topics with audio or video/webcam.
- Creating a Watch assignment - that requires students to watch on your VT presentations.
- VoiceThread FAQs for students