Curried Carrot Soup
*Carrots contain large quantities of vitamin A in the form of beta carotene. Beta carotene is an anti oxidant which helps prevent cell degeneration. Carrots are also for the eyes.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon peeled and chopped fresh ginger
- 1/2 jalapeno chili, seeded
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 5 cups chicken stock, vegetable stock or broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (fresh coriander), plus leaves for garnish
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 3 tablespoons low-fat sour cream or fat-free plain yogurt
- Grated zest of 1 lime
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan, over medium heat. Add the mustard seed. When the seeds just start to pop, after about 1 minute, add the onion and sauté until soft and translucent for about 4 minutes. Next, add the carrots, ginger, jalapeno and curry powder and sauté until the seasonings are fragrant for about 3 minutes.
Add 3 cups of the chicken/vegetable stock or broth and raise the heat to high and bring to a boil. Next you reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer (without the cover), until the carrots are tender (about 6 minutes).
In a blender or food processor, puree the soup in batches until smooth and return to the saucepan. Stir in the remaining 2 cups stock. Return the soup to medium heat and reheat gently. Just before serving, stir in the chopped cilantro and lime juice. Season with salt, if so desired.
Ladle into warmed individual bowls. Garnish with a drizzle of yogurt, a sprinkle of lime zest and cilantro leaves.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
- Calories 80
- Monounsaturated fat 2g
- Protein 6g
- Cholesterol 3mg
- Carbohydrate 5g
- Sodium 147mg
- Total fat 4g
- Fiber 1g
- Saturated fat 1g
Submitted by Djaze Serikpa