Peer leaders will facilitate cohorts of new students in the New Student Seminars on transitioning to college. This seminars will cover study skills, time management, organization, collaboration strategies, proactive advising, using technological and online resources, goal setting and career planning. The course will also serve as a companion to the Common Reader.
- Oversee online and face to face meetings of the New Student Seminars
- Read the Common Reader and facilitate class discussion
- Review all materials for each week
- Monitor online Q + A board
- Help students by answering questions and acting as a resource
- Develop positive relationships with students
- Make appropriate referrals
Qualifications for position
- Junior or Senior status; exceptional students with 45-59 credits will also be considered
- A minimum of one full academic year completed at York College
- A minimum GPA of 3.0
- Proficiency in using Blackboard, DegreeWorks, FACT$, and CUNYfirst as a student
- Semester basis
- Mandatory one-day training session
- Mandatory attendance and participation in the New Student Orientation
- Attend Title IX and FERPA training
- Approximately 7 hours per week during the semester
- Monthly Peer Leader Meetings
- Weekly email check-in with the Academic Liaison
- Contact with Common Reader Coordinator as needed
What makes a good peer leader?
- Communication: Do you know when to speak up and when to listen?
- Team Work: Can you work to accomplish tasks within a group of team members?
- Leadership & Maturity: Do you take initiative? Are you a strong peer role model?
- Critical Thinking: Are you able to see issues from multiple perspectives?
- Cultural Competency: Are you encouraging and supportive toward others’ cultures, identities, and beliefs?
- Time Management: Can you appropriately prioritize and balance tasks and time restrictions?
Peer leaders will earn a stipend of $1,000, as well as opportunities for professional development, mentoring, and networking.
This position is not open to International students.