Skip to Main Content

Montgomery G.I. Bill - Active-Duty (Chapter 30)

The Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty, called "MGIB" for short, provides up to 36 months of education benefits to eligible veterans for:
  • College, Business, Technical or Vocational school
  • On-the-Job Training and Apprenticeship Programs
  • Remedial, Deficiency, and Refresher Training (in some cases)
  • The cost of tests for licenses or certifications needed to get, keep, or advance in a job
  • Tuition Assistance: "Top-Up"
  • Correspondence Courses
  • Flight Training (in some cases)
  • National Tests

Note: VA does not approve schools or programs for benefits. Each individual state approves schools and courses. To find out if your school or program is approved for VA educational benefits under MGIB, contact your school's VA Certifying Official, or call VA at 1-888-GIBILL-1 .

Active-duty veterans who have not used any of their Chapter 30 benefits will need an original or certified copy of their DD Form 214 to send to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.


If you are currently in service, you may be eligible after two years of active duty. Please consult with the Education Services Officer at your installation, or call 1-888-GIBILL-1, for information about your eligibility.

If you are separated from service, you may be an eligible veteran if you:

  • entered active duty for the first time after June 30, 1985;
  • received a high school diploma or equivalent (or, in some cases, 12 hours of college credit) before the end of your first obligated period of service;
  • received an honorable discharge;
  • continuously served for 3 years, OR 2 years if that is what you first enlisted for, OR 2 years if you have an obligation to serve four years in the Selected Reserve AND entered Selected Reserve within a year of leaving active duty.

Note: Different rules apply if you entered active duty before July 1, 1985, and in certain other cases. Call the VA at 1-800-GIBILL-1 for more information.

Possible Pitfalls

You should be aware that the following pitfalls could cause you to lose all MGIB benefits:

General Discharge . You must have an honorable discharge to be eligible for education benefits. A "general" or "under honorable condition" makes you ineligible for education benefits.

Early Discharge. To be eligible with an early discharge, your separation reason must meet certain requirements. Call 1-800-GIBILL-1 (or if you are on active duty, check with your Education Services Officer) for more information.

Monthly Payment

The monthly benefit paid to you is based on the type of training you take, length of your service, your category, and if DoD put extra money in your MGIB Fund (called "kickers"). Typically, you have ten years to use your MGIB benefits. The current full-time rate for those with three or more years of service and enrolled in an institutional program is approx. $1,075 per month. For additional rate information, visit the G.I. Bill Chapter 30 Rate Information page .

How to Apply

You can apply by filling out VA Form 22-1990, Application for Education Benefits . You can also apply online by visiting: Application forms are also available at U.S. Offices of Veterans Affairs, through your college's veterans affairs representative, active duty stations, American embassies.

Monthly Verification

Veterans receiving benefits under Chapter 30 or Chapter 1606 must verify their enrollment each month to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs in order to receive payment for that month. This monthly verification can be done using one of two systems:

  1. Phone- using the Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system, by dialing 1 (877) 823-2378 and following the instructions provided, OR
  2. Online- using the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Web Automated Veteran's Enrollment (WAVE) system

Once either system confirms that the student is certified for the month, he/she can expect payment within 10-14 days for checks, or 3-5 days for direct deposit. Veterans and reservists must still notify their college's veterans affairs representative when their enrollment changes, even though the change has been reported to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs through the WAVE system.