Federal Work Study
The Federal Work-Study (FWS) program provides an opportunity to be placed in a part-time job that will accommodate your academic schedule during the school year.
Federal Work Study (FWS)
If you are awarded FWS, you must work in an eligible work-study job, either on-campus or off-campus, in order to receive the money. Placement assistance for work-study jobs can be found at Student Financial Services. You must have a FAFSA on file and demonstrate financial need in order to be eligible for FWS.
All awarded Federal Work Study students must follow these criteria:
- Have an FWS Award on CUNYfirst and must accept it
- Registered for at least 6 credits
- Must be making Satisfactory Academic Progress
- Must be a U.S. citizen, permanenet resident, refugee, or asylee
- Must work at an FWS approved on-campus or off-campus worksite
- Work no more than 20 hours per week.
|Grade Level||Pay Rate|
|Freshman||$13.00 per hour|
|Sophomore||$13.00 per hour|
|Junior||$13.50 per hour|
|Senior||$13.50 per hour|
Off campus salary varies per hour.
Work study students must attend orientation to begin working.
* Last day to work Summer 2016 is August 20, 2016.
* First day to work Fall 2016 is August 25, 2016.
In order to begin work, eligible work study students must complete all of the following:
- You must accept your FWS award on CUNYfirst
- Attend one (1) FWS Orientation session.
- Registered for at least 6 credits in the Fall 16' semester.
- Must be making Satisfactory Academic Progress.
FALL 2016 Orientation
|Tuesday||August 9||12:00 PM - 2:00 PM||1M07|
|Wednesday||August 17||10:00 AM - 12:00 PM||1M07|
|Friday||August 19||10:00 AM - 12:00 PM||1M07|
|Monday||August 22||2:00 PM - 4:00 PM||1M07|
|Thursday||August 25||12:00 PM - 2:00 PM||1M07|
|Tuesday||September 9||2:00 PM - 4:00 PM||1M07|
|Friday||September 20||12:00 PM - 2:00 PM||1M07|
* You must attend only one (1) Summer or Fall orientation in order to work for the Fall 16 or Spring 17 semester.
Please arrive 15 mins early. You will not be allowed in any session if you arrive 10 minutes after the Hour.
Each Session is expected to last 2 hours.
Required Documents will be distributed during orientation sessions.
Job Placement Procedure
Students must submit all documentation BEFORE working choosing a work site.
What to do after Orientation
- Write down the contact information of the jobs you are interested in.
- Call and arrange an interview.
- Take your contract to the interview. If hired, get two (2) signatures for the contract.
- Return the signed contract with IDs (original & copy) to room 1M08.
- Wait for your supervisor to call you to start working.
- If you cannot find a job, see Ms. Morrison in room 1M08.
Off Campus Job Information
All interested students must be approved by FWS Coordinator, Ms. Cheryl Morisson in order to work off-campus. Student must be advised that payment schedules are managed by Public Service Corps and should consult their supervisor.
Public Service Corps Info & Application
The New York City Public Service Corps (PSC) is dedicated to providing undergraduate and graduate students with opportunities to serve their communities, build occupational skills, and learn about careers in the public sector.
If you missed the Fall FWS this is what you can do.
Click here for available FWS jobs on-campus. Updated as of 8/17/2016
2016 - 2017 Payroll Calendar for Federal Work Study.
Useful information for FWS Supervisors
This form is for supervisors who are interested in hiring a work study student for their department. On this form you may fill out the qualifications you would like the work study student to have.